aqua clarity purge

dlleno

Sep 9, 2016
denver, CO
Greetings all,

I haven't been quite as active in my spa experiments lately, but I just finished up a couple of interesting ones. the write-ups are posted on my hobby site rvdoug dot com, but I don't want to just post a link here because it might look like spam. so PM me if you are interested in the URL. here's a summary

* I just finished using the Spa Marvel enzyme maintenance product. not really a fan of their marketing or the value proposition, frankly. I'd say the enzymes do work, but the benefit is just not worth the cost -- to me anyway. I'll give Spa Marvel the benefit of doubt and assume that the enzymes do chow down on the food supply for biofilms, but frankly I'm not interested in putting bad guys on a diet I'm interested in removing them :). Moreover, even after using Spa Marvel over the water drain interval, Aqua Clarity (purge dose) released a bunch more goo, so for me there is no benefit to Spa Marvel. Also, the claim of an extended absense for the spa -- weeks at at time (with Spa Marvel in the water), is just not validated for me. I tested that claim and my water turned bad in just three days.

*This week I concluded a purge shoot-out test of Spa Marvel Cleanser versus the purge strength of Unique Solution's Aqua Clarity. The manufacturer (Unique Solutions) sent me a package of this stuff to test, so I put it through the paces, using a Clorox jug that i saved specifically for the mix. As for the purge dose -- my first reaction was "this stuff is as good as ahh-some". It would take up too much space here to post my results in detail, and (again) I don't want to spam this site so if you are interested in the detail pls PM me. cause I do want to be respectful of the site here. Aqua Clarity is a very interesting product in that it serves both as a weekly maintenance and a purge product, depending on the dose that you use. They send you a 6 ounce bottle of concentrate and you add the water to make a full gallon of mixed product. They give you the label and everything. I just re-filled my spa yesterday and started the weekly treatment of Aqua Clarity today. I would say first off that if the maintenance dose of Aqua Clarity is similar to "Hot Tub Serum Total Maintenance" -- which I have also used -- then we can expect to see "mini purge" type benefits over the life of the water, so I'll be watching for that.

BTW -- my test spa is bromine (I used granular sodium bromide for the bank), and I use the "dichlor then switch to bleach" method even for bromine. I have also treated my spa with borates for pH control and also for its impact on bad guys. When I purge my spa, the last thing I do is put the filters in their normal positions, while the spa is still dosed with ahh-some - thats quite an acheivement and very clean spa! The reason that was important to state now is because I got no result when I dosed my spa for the first time with Aqua Clarity maintenance dose!

-doug

Reactions: Mdragger88
I was able to find your blog. Thanks for sharing your testing experience with these two products. I had been considering Spa Marvel before I found AC, I already had ordered the AC when I read your blog, and I’m glad I went that route vs SM. I look forward to trying it and hoping I get as good of experience as you on my spa, though I probably won’t start AC until I do a purge in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for taking the time to do these tests and sharing your experiences.

Hi EricJ320: Wanted to know how the Purge went with the Aqua Clarity? Also, the weekly additions. is the product performing up to your expectations? Since the product was recently launched it would be wonderful if you could post your findings for the forum readers. Thank You Eric.

Hi EricJ320: Wanted to know how the Purge went with the Aqua Clarity? Also, the weekly additions. is the product performing up to your expectations? Since the product was recently launched it would be wonderful if you could post your findings for the forum readers. Thank You Eric.
Thanks for following up. I’ll certainly report my experiences here once I get to the purge and AC usage. I will probably use the original Ahhsome to do the purge and then start using the AC after that. I’m currently in the process of building a new deck around our tub so I am waiting to finalize that so that I can drain the tub if/when I need to make slight adjustments to its positioning on the platform I built for it to sit on.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, keep us posted on your observations. We now have thousands of hot tub owners on the program and the feedback is excellent. The Aqua Clarity will be a game changer Eric. The cost to chemically treat your hot tub for under $90.00 annually and enjoy crystal clear healthy water with just using a sanitizer is beyond belief. The key job that this product does is to continuously sweep your systems plumbing and surfaces clean of bio-gunk. I know you were excited to get the product. Hope your hot tub deck adds for more family enjoyment.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, keep us posted on your observations. We now have thousands of hot tub owners on the program and the feedback is excellent. The Aqua Clarity will be a game changer Eric. The cost to chemically treat your hot tub for under $90.00 annually and enjoy crystal clear healthy water with just using a sanitizer is beyond belief. The key job that this product does is to continuously sweep your systems plumbing and surfaces clean of bio-gunk. I know you were excited to get the product. Hope your hot tub deck adds for more family enjoyment.
@Ahhsomeguy, It’s been a minute since we had this exchange, I just wanted to let you know I was finally able to get our purge done. It was the first one (not counting the initial fill purge), so I’m not sure exactly what I should expect to see. Initially I had yellowish tinged foam, then what seemed like a lot of dark green/mold gunk released from the plumbing. I cleaned it well, pulled every jet and cleaned them out. Once it was clean I refilled it, balanced the chemicals and then started with AC. I just added my 3rd dose. I also added some borates this time, so I’m not sure if there is any noticeable difference that I could specifically attribute to the AC, but I’m hopeful it does the job of keeping the pipes clean between purges.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Wonderful. You will notice the enhanced water clarity and the filters grabbing more particulates. The reoccurrence of biofilms will be slowed down. Using the AC keeps helps keep particles from adhering to the piping or any surface that comes in contact with the water. We can’t totally eliminate the need for purging but we feel very confident that we will save hot tub owners many many thousand gallons of water and time. Periodic draining and refilling will be minimized in most cases.

Hello PineyVermont. With the Aqua Clarity you can just use an EPA Registered sanitizer and infrequent pH and Total Alkalinity adjustments. You may need to shock or super sanitize periodically based on the usage, weather, temperature and many other factors. The key here is that you just use the sanitizer of your choice. If you need to shock periodically you can use an appropriate source. The Aqua Clarity DOES NOT take the place of a shock treatment program Which you may need periodically.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So if I am starting with a brand new hot tub, Aqua Clarity will accomplish what the older Ahhsome does for older hot tubs? And are you also saying just use sanitizer, shock not needed if you use this product?
To your first question, the AC bottle says you can use it, in a higher dose, for purging, to accomplish the same job as the original Ahhsome purge product. I have some original, so I will purge with it until it’s gone, then I’ll likely use AC. Perhaps @Ahhsomeguy can correct me if I’m misinterpreting the AC label. Either way, definitely purge a new tub, if for no other reason than knowing you start with clean plumbing, which is not a guarantee just became the tub is new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.