Anything to do for algae before opening?

Apr 24, 2018
King George, Va
Because of some work travel and other family constraints we're not planning on opening our pool for a few more weeks (in early March). Just noticed that the water has started to turn green, however. Is there anything to do between now and opening to try and control or minimize the algae? Or do I just suck it up and deal with it when we open? Thanks,

I assume you mean May? If you are not going to be able to circulate the water, then do nothing.

You may want to see if draining and refill with new water makes more sense than a SLAM if your pool is very green. Also, if you plan to keep the water and SLAM, check your CYA first and if gone, check for ammonia before adding any.

Yeh.. my time travel machine seems to be broken, so I meant May ;( But if I could go back to March, I might have been able to avoid the situation!

Marty, as always, thanks for the sage advice.

We're on well water, so a complete refill isn't my first choice.

Given that it looks like things are finally warming up here over the next few weeks, even if I'm going to be in and out would I gain anything by opening the pool now to get the water circulating? My guess is that the most likely result will just be to clog up the filter, and that's probably not good there if I'm not around to clean it, but in theory with the SWG going I'm wondering if its at all possible to do anything to minimize algae growth between now and when I'm back long enough to do a proper slam?

We're on well water, so a complete refill isn't my first choice.
Please add you use well water to your signature.

A SWCG is not designed to deal with algae. It is designed to maintain your FC level once you establish it in a clean pool that is algae free.

If you cannot address the issues, then wait until you can.

Pour in some bleach and brush it around to keep the green away, there are some problems with this though. Warm water temps will make it a every day or every couple day thing. If your water doesn't have cya in it it will go away from the sun or you might have too high of a FC level in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.