Anything damaging or wasteful about slowly pouring CYA granules into the skimmer to have it sucked into the top of the sand filter to dissolve there?

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
That is the question. The sock method is kind of a pain for me as I believe I have a small leak in the lines somewhere, so I have to add CYA more often than I would like. If I could just get it into the sand filter would it not dissolve there? My thoughts are to pour it in slowly into the skimmer and let it flow through the pump to the top of the sand filter and let it dissolve there. Anything damaging to the pool or wasteful to do it this way? CYA seams to be a tame acid.

Well, obviously you risk the chance of clogging a pipe. That stuff is pretty gummy when wet.

You wouldn't be able to backwash for at least a week until it all dissolved. Your testing would show you how you're doing there.

Otherwise... we know people do it. We just like to play it safe and suggest the sock method.

Maddie :flower:

I don't see how you chlorinate, but if you use liquid chlorine as I do, then this could work for you as it did for me. Over the winter, many rains caused the CYA level in the pool to drop to below what I could detect with the T100 measure. I bought one of those floating chlorine tab holders and put three regular cheapo trichlor tabs in it. I checked the CYA every few days until it was up to 40 (I intended to stop at 30). Then I took the floaty out and stored it under a plastic bucket. This was really easy and effective, since I was chlorinating at the same time I added CYA.

Reactions: Tena
Thanks both of you. Yes, I use liquid chlorine, as I have a liner pool, trychlor tabs in a floater will damage my liner.

I intend to slowly release it in very small quantities. I am only losing about an inch or two a week, so i can calculate the loss and replace slowly.

Some of the stuff on the market is less hard, I guess? Cause it gets gummy and can stick together a bit which could happen within the pipe and clog. We've certainly had folks tell us that they've experienced it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.