Anyone plant 4 o'clocks (Miribliis) around their pool?

jwhop3

Jun 9, 2014
Rocky Mount/Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
I have thousands of these things, they have taken over. Not a problem as they choke out the usual weeds and vines that were a problem before. But lately, I've noticed a rotting carcass smell in the daytime when the flowers are closed. I've looked though them to see if there is an animal in there, but have found nothing. In the evening when the flowers open, the smell goes away. The blooms aren't really fragrant to me. It could also just be me, ever since going on Elliquis and heart murmur pill, my sense of smell has been really acute. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this?

I think they're lovely and a great idea for ground cover! However, if you have a deranged sense of smell (I've had it, and it ain't pretty), I'd pull em up an d get rid of them! There's no point in having something visually pretty which stinks to high heaven to you.

I've never noticed a bad smell from four o'clocks, but then I'm not on any meds that make things smell funny. It's your pool, you deserve to enjoy it whenever you like. Rip em out of you want.

I planted 7 bare root 4 o’clock plants early this spring and so far only two are blooming. No noticeable smell. I am hoping my others will leap next year. They are barely growing. Do you fertilize them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 13
I planted 7 bare root 4 o’clock plants early this spring and so far only two are blooming. No noticeable smell. I am hoping my others will leap next year. They are barely growing. Do you fertilize them?
Nope, just a fresh coat of mulch every year. They'll grow everywhere and are pretty tolerant. I can dig up the tuber and transplant it just about anywhere. I consider these as Sleeper/Creeper/Leapers. First year, they sleep. Second year they creep. Third year they leap, though it most likely won't take three years.

I think they're lovely and a great idea for ground cover! However, if you have a deranged sense of smell (I've had it, and it ain't pretty), I'd pull em up an d get rid of them! There's no point in having something visually pretty which stinks to high heaven to you.

I've never noticed a bad smell from four o'clocks, but then I'm not on any meds that make things smell funny. It's your pool, you deserve to enjoy it whenever you like. Rip em out of you want.
Oddly, when they open in the evening, I don't smell it anymore. It's only when the blooms close up during the heat of the day. It's like "there's a dead frog around here" kinda smell. With my yard, it's very likely there is a dead frog.

Yup, that's what mine look like in the first season. Bad news for your black-eyed susans in the back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.