Anyone opening early?

I can hear the gas line hissing from here uxbridgechris. I didn't cover this year and will open the system on Monday. I've skimmed out all the Crud and dumped in the first round of chlorine with sub-pump circulating. Will run robot vac a few times tomorrow while scrubbing and managing chlorine level. We've got a hot tub so we'll likely be going hot-cold-hot until we really want the whole pool.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I am waiting until the first weekend in May. I have a lot of work to do on it this year and replacing the liner. So... I'm hoping for a nice sunny day to set the liner.

We opened today in northern KY, just south of Cincinnati, OH! Our new pool heater was also delivered today but we still need to install gas line, concrete pad, PVC, pump, filter, etc and then get some water hauled in to top off the pool. My first spring opening with crystal clear water! Woohooo!!!! Thank you TFP!!!!
View attachment 129793
The doughnut tube was under the cover all winter (our mound in the middle) and never deflated! These two were begging to swim... at water temp of 61 degrees, we convinced them it wasn’t a good idea! But they sure had fun anyway!
View attachment 129794
How in the world is the water 61 degrees?!!!
Can’t wait to get the heater fired up!
YAY!! That’s awesome! I’m a few hours away in Columbus. Haven’t “officially” opened yet but I left the cover off all winter and have been using a cheap temporary cartridge filter/pump for the past week or so just to circulate chemicals to keep the water clear until we hook up the sand filter/skimmer and open officially this upcoming weekend! I maintained scooping leaves and stuff all winter but definitely need to run the new Aquabot cleaner and do a good brushing lol! Your pool and water look amazing! Any luck finding bleach/TP/paper towels down there? It’s been a nightmare here lol. I hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy! ?

Last edited:
I am waiting until the first weekend in May. I have a lot of work to do on it this year and replacing the liner. So... I'm hoping for a nice sunny day to set the liner.
Probably a good idea! I just can’t wait that long. Especially with this “stay home” order in Ohio, I am bored to tears (literally lol) and pool maintenance gives me something to do. Now if only this stupid rain would stop!! Which liner design did you choose? I can’t wait to see the finished product! ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably a good idea! I just can’t wait that long. Especially with this “stay home” order in Ohio, I am bored to tears (literally lol) and pool maintenance gives me something to do. Now if only this stupid rain would stop!! Which liner design did you choose? I can’t wait to see the finished product! ??
I am not set in stone on a liner yet but I will probably end up buying the Portifino again. Liner choices for above ground pools are not very good.

And totally jealous that you’re in Florida and able to swim! That would make this quarantine thing so much better lol

So i can’t help you swim, it is what it is. But this float in particular could be carefully used while staying completely dry, or others like it. Floating in a sweatsuit is still floating :).

• Love
So i can’t help you swim, it is what it is. But this float in particular could be carefully used while staying completely dry, or others like it. Floating in a sweatsuit is still floating :).

Thanks newdude, just added it to my cart. And hi! I was going to start a new thread but saw this one so....is it to early to open in NJ? I scheduled for this Sunday the 29th but am questioning my decision. I was originally going to do it 3rd week in April but like everyone else, I'm going crazy with 7 kids in the house!!!!! 5 who I have to teach! Figured it will at least give me something to do that I actually enjoy lol. But it looks like lots of rain coming my way so I dont know. Defeats the purpose if I can't be out there cleaning or maintaining it.

Reactions: Sue626
so....is it to early to open in NJ? I scheduled for this Sunday the 29th but am questioning my decision.

Hey miss welcome back ! We (You and I) are most likely done with the freezes. If we happened to get one last cold snap, you could just run the pump at low speed 24/7 for the few days. Being as cool as it is for us, your maintenance would be, at most, minimal, but FC would need to be added in liquid form. It’s too cold for your SWG to work.

The water would warm some uncovered, but it will still be quite cold for a while. But even if they only went in for 5 minutes, it would buy you 30 minutes of keeping them busy. Even longer if you enacted the ‘mandatory shower after’ rule.

I have two of those floats!!!! They are the best lol!
3FF972A6-0924-4FC9-8899-CEB13F4BD722.jpeg4E240044-3E4E-4E9C-B728-63DAB79419E6.jpeg80D99BB6-D6D8-43EE-80D9-169E0A768787.jpeg

Last edited:
have two of those floats!!!! They are the best lol!

Apologies your Maj.......... I should have known you would have known. Lol. so yeah, Be real careful getting on and float away. I’m 6ft 3 and 275 lbs and I can stay dry on it, it should be even easier for you.

• Haha
Apologies your Maj.......... I should have known you would have known. Lol. so yeah, Be real careful getting on and float away. I’m 6ft 3 and 275 lbs and I can stay dry on it, it should be even easier for you.
It’s super easy! I love it! My favorite for days when the water is a little colder than I prefer lol. I had to edit my post and add photos hahaha I think I’ll order a 3rd one since they’re cheap on amazon right now lol

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Hey miss welcome back ! We (You and I) are most likely done with the freezes. If we happened to get one last cold snap, you could just run the pump at low speed 24/7 for the few days. Being as cool as it is for us, your maintenance would be, at most, minimal, but FC would need to be added in liquid form. It’s too cold for your SWG to work.

The water would warm some uncovered, but it will still be quite cold for a while. But even if they only went in for 5 minutes, it would buy you 30 minutes of keeping them busy. Even longer if you enacted the ‘mandatory shower after’ rule.
Thank you. I bought 5 gallons of LC this past weekend from walmart. They had plenty so I can always get more. Can I still run my heater on a 70 degree day even if the water is still really cold? Dont think they'll go in before air temp reaches at least that lol. But it's nice to be ready if/when we get those random days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.