Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It has been so unseasonably warm this winter and now that April is approaching (I planned to open first weekend of April) and I see no freezing temperatures coming up, I’m thinking about opening early. I did not use a cover and my water is crystal clear (I’ve been scooping all fall/winter) although there is some annoying dirt/debris on the bottom of the pool (see photo) that I am not able to vacuum yet. I do not want algae beginning to grow due to rising water temperatures and rain. Am I crazy for wanting to “open” and maintain my pool a couple months before swimming season? It’s my first “opening” and TFP has created a monster and made me love water testing and pool maintenance hahaha! Is anyone else opening early due to this crazy warm weather? My water temp is currently 50 degrees and I live in OHIO!! ??
Photo makes it look less pretty since it’s super cloudy outside today lol
6C3D5D4D-771B-4348-B091-0448A98A1E63.jpeg

Today’s test results:

FC: 6.5 (I’ve been adding some regular bleach and using sump pump for circulation every now n then...don’t judge me haha)
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.5
TA: 70
CYA: 50 (same as closing!)
Water temperature: 50 degrees Fahrenheit

Last edited:
I'm in NE PA and want to open NOW. Ha!

I am hoping by the beginning of April. The next few weeks are still that 'crazy stuff can happen' for our region.

1584022822008.png

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I'm in NE PA and want to open NOW. Ha!

I am hoping by the beginning of April. The next few weeks are still that 'crazy stuff can happen' for our region.

View attachment 129073

So true lol!! I figured if we get a night of freezing here n there I’ll just run the pump 24 hours. I’m bored and work from home so I figured why not just open the darn thing lol! Too bad bleach is flying off the shelves due to the coronavirus scare. That’s the only bad part right now but water is still cool enough to not require much chlorine and I have a couple gallons still. I say go ahead and OPEN IT!! ?

Last edited:
Reactions: l1ltaral1l
I usually go by water temp. When it hits 60(ish) on its own I open. I find it is too cold to swim (air temp) anyway at that time but it is nice to sit around the pool on a nice day and have a drink listening to the water falls! We are still expecting a few days of freeze so I'll wait at least until April.

For your question, I open as early as I can believe the true cold isn’t coming back for more than a day or two. Is it probably gone right now ? Yes. But you, me, Tara, etc at the same geographical level could still get creamed for 2 weeks unexpectedly. It would however be a lot easier for you to just bring your equipment back in the house and let the water drain down to the skimmer bottom after doing so. So have at it if you’d like, and plan on the slight possibility of either running the pump for a few overnights, or aborting mission and keeping it all in your kitchen for a week.

Get the pool fired up if you have kids. When the schools shut down for 2-3 weeks due to the virus, you will go insane unless you can throw them in the pool once a day. I don't have a heater so my 5 year old and I will be doing polar bear plunges.

I normally open in March when there are no more freezing temps in the forecast for the next 2 weeks. I keep my tarp on for an additional 2-3 weeks until the oak trees are done blooming to avoid tannin stains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get the pool fired up if you have kids. When the schools shut down for 2-3 weeks due to the virus, you will go insane unless you can throw them in the pool once a day. I don't have a heater so my 5 year old and I will be doing polar bear plunges.

I normally open in March when there are no more freezing temps in the forecast for the next 2 weeks. I keep my tarp on for an additional 2-3 weeks until the oak trees are done blooming to avoid tannin stains.

Ha ha Larry Hogan (MD Governor) just accounced 2 week school closure starting next week.

Tell me about it. I'm home after surgery, my wife is being forced to work from home indefinitely and the kids soon will be too . May the odds be ever in MY favor.

Thank you for the well wishes. I started PT the other day (rotator cuff). I need a month or two of working it, but i’m getting there.

We opened today in northern KY, just south of Cincinnati, OH! Our new pool heater was also delivered today but we still need to install gas line, concrete pad, PVC, pump, filter, etc and then get some water hauled in to top off the pool. My first spring opening with crystal clear water! Woohooo!!!! Thank you TFP!!!!
28FA8D85-9801-4B06-BD8F-E37C6FD4D5B5.jpeg
The doughnut tube was under the cover all winter (our mound in the middle) and never deflated! These two were begging to swim... at water temp of 61 degrees, we convinced them it wasn’t a good idea! But they sure had fun anyway!
14FF36ED-B687-485E-8F7D-958C9CE2FFB6.jpeg
How in the world is the water 61 degrees?!!!
Can’t wait to get the heater fired up!

I am north of Toronto. Last year I opened March 29 which was stupid early. Said I would wait longer this year. Mid April was the plan until the boredom caused by this virus set in. I opened today. Water temp was 38. By tomorrow morning we will be swimming. I figure, all that money we would normally spend on diners out, socializing will be spent on natural gas. :)

Mid April was the plan until the boredom caused by this virus set in
Loooooooool. This year we can blame the virus but every last year I open a few weeks ahead of when I planned to. With no other yard work to do yet I stand around looking at the covered pool. I’d be looking at my pool on a Saturday evening at 51 degrees air temp, virus or no virus.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.