Anyone open in NE yet and have lower water than usual?

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
My plan is to open this Thursday. I just went into the pool shed to make sure I had everything I would need to open. For the first time since the fall I looked through my mesh cover. Normally at opening I need to drain water. This year my water line is very low. It almost looks it does when its closed. I asked the company to take a lot out as like I said it usually overfills each winter. For the life of me I cannot remember where the water line was at time of closing. I know this winter we had NO snow, which was super rare for the Boston area. We did have rain though.

Anyone else in the area open yet with less water? I popped some of the cover off and have the hose in it now filling. Here is to hoping that it holds. I am not very optimistic though.

Boston had 21" October-March inclusive. Ashtabula had 24" and I had to pump down my pool 5 times this winter. They must have done one hellova' drain.

Reactions: Newdude
I got about 2 ft this winter, an hour and a half south of you. Normally it was 3 ft.

Sure. Look around the pool at the water level line for cracks, splits, Lights, protrusions. Anything that might be a leaker.
So having a mesh liner the water is not exactly clear. Also some floating leaves and things on top. I have already started to fill it up. I guess the best thing to do at this point is fill it, open, and get it nice and clean to look around. The water line was right at the top of one of the stairs. That would be a good place to start once it cleared up.

So here is another interesting bit to add to this story. Spoke to my buddy last evening who just had a pool company come and do his opening yesterday. His water line was very low as well. They are coming back later this week once his pool is full. They had told him that they are seeing this a lot this season. This morning I went to the pool supply store to get ready for my open later this week. They are also a service company. The woman at the counter told me they are having a lot of customers call them back once they fill their pools as when the covers have come off the water line is too low to open. She said its been a common issue due to the dry winter. I am still not ruling out a leak, but at least I am not the only one having this issue in the Boston area.

Also it looks like the water I filled yesterday held overnight. fingers crossed it will over the next 24-48 hours.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So here is another interesting bit to add to this story. Spoke to my buddy last evening who just had a pool company come and do his opening yesterday. His water line was very low as well. They are coming back later this week once his pool is full. They had told him that they are seeing this a lot this season. This morning I went to the pool supply store to get ready for my open later this week. They are also a service company. The woman at the counter told me they are having a lot of customers call them back once they fill their pools as when the covers have come off the water line is too low to open. She said its been a common issue due to the dry winter. I am still not ruling out a leak, but at least I am not the only one having this issue in the Boston area.

Also it looks like the water I filled yesterday held overnight. fingers crossed it will over the next 24-48 hours.
Sudbury.
Beginning of April i looked and was just about to overflow out the top of the skimmers. I pumped it down 3" or so to get it to the top of the skimmer opening in the pool wall. After this past weekends rain, i had to take out another 2 - 3".
I thought they pumped it out too low in the fall... Opening is this wednesday.

Reactions: Newdude
Sudbury.
Beginning of April i looked and was just about to overflow out the top of the skimmers. I pumped it down 3" or so to get it to the top of the skimmer opening in the pool wall. After this past weekends rain, i had to take out another 2 - 3".
I thought they pumped it out too low in the fall... Opening is this wednesday.
That is why I am still not ruling out, and am still counting on there being a leak. The rain alone from Sunday should have filled me a lot.

Mendon MA:
It was a rainy winter here...after draining to below the return lines at closing I found the water level nearing the top of the water line tiles back in early Feb. and had to drain again to avoid potential freeze damage. I probably did that a little more aggressively than necessary and had to add maybe 4-5 inches for the pool opening (a little more than 3 weeks ago).

Anyone else in the area open yet with less water?
I live close to Springfield MA and I need to drain my pool to return to normal.

When I closed it last October, I drained it 12 inches to go below returns (I know I don't need to, but for me, it's easier). I have a mesh safety cover so normally I have to drain it early spring (once or twice depending on snow fall), but right now it's only 4 to 5 inches too high so I am going to drain it Friday before I open this Saturday

Last edited:
Not even close to MA, but I’ve experienced the same issue this year, opened yesterday. Usually I’m up to the top of the skimmers (or higher!), this year took me about four hours to fill to halfway up the skimmers before I could turn on the pump! And we had record snowfall this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.