Anyone have the Popular Science Pool Plans from 1934?

alysta

Jul 11, 2023
NC
I came across TFP while searching for these plans. Anyone still have them? They don't seem to still be on the PopSci website any longer. Thanks!

http://www.popsci.com/archive-viewer?id ... mming+pool

Welcome to TFP.

I hope this shows you the many ways we assist pool people. Hope you stick around.

1689127352481.png
1689127617407.png1689127669226.png

Last edited:
Allen (@ajw22) actually has the original magazine that the article is in (he was a teenager when that article was written). It’s piled up in the many floor-to-ceiling stacks of print magazines he has strewn about his home. We’ve tried to intervene and even got him a spot on the reality TV show “Hoarders” but he refused to shower and we couldn’t get him to step out of the closet he was holed up in. But, when he’s on his meds, he can be very resourceful. Glad he could help you find the info you were seeking …

I used to subscribe and read Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines religiously for many many years. It got me into may interests and hobbies.

And I enjoyed the nostalgia of reading old articles while finding this one.

And I love the advertisements of the times.

Did you see the suggested sanitizing method in the article? And how the coping is dropped in a spot so that water with floating debris can flow over and out of the pool 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Oly
Who knew that Popular Science was the basis of all Leslie’s Pool Store advice on sanitation 🤷‍♂️

In warm weather ordinary city water will soon become seen with algae if left stand-ing. To keep this down and also to sterilize the water, it should be treated with copper sulphate or "bluestone** just as is done in public swimming pools. For your own use, tie about a pound of the crystals in a muslin or strong gauze bag, and with a long pole swish it through the water each morn-ing-just enough to give a light blue tint.Too strong a solution will cause eyes to smart and impart a green tone to blond hair, and likewise will be detrimental to the plants upon which it is drained. Be careful, there-fore, to make the daily application lightly rather than give an extra strong dose about once a week.

• Wow
Reactions: AUSpool
Did you see the suggested sanitizing method in the article? And how the coping is dropped in a spot so that water with floating debris can flow over and out of the pool 😂

Little has changed in pools in 90 years. The same problems then as we deal with now.

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For some reason I have a hankering for some UNION LEADER cigarettes. Like my pa always said "they're the Great American smoke, son!". Also my face is getting itchy so maybe it's time to shave. Let me tell you, when I shave, there's only one product I turn to: Colgate's RAPID SHAVE CREAM. Nothing de-waterproofs my whiskers quite like Colgate.

Thank you so much! Still a dream for my tiny back yard, but planning for the future :)
Welcome to TFP.

I hope this shows you the many ways we assist pool people. Hope you stick around.

View attachment 512743
View attachment 512749View attachment 512750

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.