Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The kiddo (15) woke up this morning with a 101 fever and we let him stay home from school and went to doctor this morning. He tested negative for strep throat, so the doctor said he gave him a 50/50 shot of it being COVID. By this afternoon his fever was barely registering ~99 after meds wore off and he seems to have plenty of energy.

If this wasnt a crazy COVID year, we would have just let him miss school for a day and be done with it assuming his fever is completely gone. Has anyone else been through COVID themselves or with a teenager? Hopefully we get the test back tomorrow and it is negative.

No direct experience. Just wanted to wish you good luck with the results. Chances are close to none that he'll be positive. Either way, the actual negative impact for COVID-positive teenagers is even closer to none. I'm not saying not to be careful, I'm just saying not to worry. He'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ_Tex
Had several co-workers diagnosed with it a few months ago. No-one seriously effected. Not everyone in their home got it. Some did, some did not. I think the test is flawed, or it is not transmitted as easily as they are saying or perhaps some peopler not as prone to contracting it as others. I would not be too worried. Most of the people I know complained of soar throat, cough, and slight fever. All but one said it was so mild they felt guilty not working.

My daughter is in quarantine from school for close contact to someone on her vb team that is positive. Its more than likely that the girl acquired it over the weekend after my daughter & other students had contact w/ her on Friday . My girl is 13 & showing no symptoms (nor is anyone else so far other than the 1 +girl).
She doesn’t really want to get tested & even if it’s negative she cannot return to school until her 14 days is up. I may try to talk her in to the rapid test tomorrow incase shes positive but asymptomatic.
It’s been 6 days since her contact so I think she would have developed symptoms by now if she were going to be ill.
We weren’t notified until Tuesday (exposure was Friday). We’re supposed to visit my mom this Sunday so I would like to be safe rather than sorry.
I hope your son feels better soon & that he’s negative. Poor kids now still have to do school online all day regardless. No sick days 😩

Where's @Newdude when we need him...OH. he bought a new house with a dead Doughboy and we aren't priority anymore ;)
Anyway, the Cornavirus distribution is very clumpy..Its worse in some areas, not so bad in others. My area is not bad relatively speaking. But people that are exposed to the carnage it created live in areas where the death rates are worse. I know a number of people that have had it and have gotten better. I know others that live in other parts of the country that have been hit the hardest and have lost entire families. The reason I bring up 'Dude, is he lives close to one of the hot spots and the impact of the virus is in his backyard. Me not as much, even though having my kids do school from home is driving me CRAZY!🤪:crazy:

Combine that with the smoke from the fires was pretty bad for awhile around here.. every time I got a dry cough from the bad air quality I thought for sure I was coming down with the 'Vid

Tested negative, but I’m about 80% sure I’ve dealt with it.

One morning several months ago I woke up with an odd feeling in my chest. Didn’t hurt, didn’t really do much to alter my day, but it was weird. You simply don’t feel yourself breathing, it’s simply not something that occurs. Thought little of it as we were gonna just hang out around the house anyways and moved on. The weird feeling continued for about the next three days. Monday morning came around and I went to work and was up-front with them, I wasn’t feeling right.

Company policy right now says I was not to be allowed in the building and I was off work for two weeks, so away I went. Company I work for actually has done a very good job with all of this as the two weeks were fully paid and they checked in on me multiple times. Honestly couldn’t ask for more........

A few more days went by and the feelings started to turn to pain. By Wednesday it felt like a baby was on my chest all day, and the baby grew as the day went on increasing pressure as it got bigger. That day a close family member had made comment she’s had a weird cold for about a week and hoped she could shake it before she traveled to North Carolina. Her son and his fiancé was due to have their first child and she planned to visit. Out of caution she had talked to her doctor who told her to go get tested. Friday she was told it was positive as was her son who lives in Ohio, and we had been around them a fair amount.

By Thursday I myself at times couldn’t take a deep breath for nothing. Went to bed with a headache and drenched in sweat. I was finally able to get an appointment with a doctor setup virtually who told me she was sure it was Covid. She sent me to get a test but had also strongly encouraged me to ignore the results, and assume it was positive. I wasn’t able to get tested for about 24 hours because of a shortage in tests combined with my age. I’m younger and not in the health care profession, I was on the waiting list. After some time on Friday I was called and went to get tested. Honestly, kinda tickled. 😂

It was several days before I got my results back but later the next week the results came back negative. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Talked to my doctor about it who instructed my wife to also get tested, just in case. My wife was showing many of the same signs, plus the runs, so better safe than sorry. The doctor is still very sure I simply failed the test but was glad the test worked out. I was under quarantine regardless for a few additional weeks due to my exposure from my family member and my health was improving. The result of the test really didn’t matter, I was feeling better and locked up in the house no matter what the test said.

End of the day I pray for your family. Odds say it’ll be fine but I grasp the uneasy feeling I suspect you’re having. It’s a very weird time we’re in right now and it’s one well look back on in the future and hopefully be able to learn something from. For now though, wash your hands, avoid crowds, don’t touch your face, and if you must go around people wear a mask. Just keep your spit to yourself.........

The reason I bring up 'Dude, is he lives close to one of the hot spots and the impact of the virus is in his backyard
Being the early hotspot when we didn’t know much about it yet was AWFUL. There was this invisible boogeyman everywhere. Or a deadly grown-up version of cooties. We were also at the stage of the shortages so we could only get enough food to last 2 days before having to go out and be exposed to it again. One or the other was bad enough but both at the same time was rough.

At one point I knew about 3 dozen people who were positive at that time. Whole families trapped at home for 2 weeks but luckily most had no/mild symptoms. I know about a dozen people who lost a parent. I’m in a permanent state of rooting for people wether they are local, TFPers or on the news across the country.

Thanks all. He now has no symptoms and hoping to get the results back today. At this point I have mixed feelings on what I'm rooting for. A negative test would be short term relief, but a positive test after he is 100% better would not be terrible and would be good to get that monkey off his back, since he is involved in a lot of extra curriculars including band with lots of future exposure opportunities.

I am very thankful that the technology and processes have quickly adapted. One call to the school and all of his in-person classes were setup with cameras within 2 hours so he could attend all of his classes via zoom without missing anything (in fairness some were already setup that way for other students with COVID/quarantined). We also were not comfortable with our daughter leaving for her tutoring last night and potentially exposing others, so another phone call and her tutor was able to do a virtual lesson. Its not perfect, but this would not have been possible years or even months ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was in Eastern Europe (London, Azerbaijan and Frankfurt) left about 10 days before they shut down travel to the US. Felt pretty crappy a couple days but I really think it was allergies. When I got back to the US I self-quarantined for 2 weeks and then got an anti-body test to see if I had possibly contracted a symptom free case. My test was negative. Reception from my wife when I got home was a little "different". She had raised the FC level and heated up the spa so instead of a welcome home hug I was given a pair of trunks at distance, marched out to the spa and told I had to do multiple full immersions (my wife's a retired ICU nurse)... not exactly what I was hoping for after 24 hrs of flights.

We disinfect everything that comes into the house and wear N95 masks out of the house unless well-distanced since we're both over 60 and my wife has other lung issues. We wash hands frequently and use gel any place we eat out but we haven't let this stop us from getting out. Reasonable precautions have worked well for us. I play a lot of golf, we go to the beach, wife enjoys quilting courses so we basically do anything we want to and just add in precautions that make sense to us. People think it's weird that we clean our own table with a wipe and when I wipe down my golf cart. But it's enabled us to function with almost no limitations. One of our grand kids tested positive about a month ago... teenager quarantined, never got symptoms and tested negative twice 8 then 9 days later. She had to prove double negative before they'd let her go back to work (restaurant). Our nephew is an EMT and fireman. Been exposed several times and never tested positive. Experts are all over the map on what to do. My experience with experts that disagree so much is pick what I like best. To us that's error on the safe side with precautions and do what's possible to continue life as normal as we can. That's what we've done and it seems to be working. Sadly many have not been so fortunate.

Chris

Reactions: Leebo
@setsailsoon - I already did all those things (except the masks) before the rona.
They say this is the germaphobe’s time to shine 🤣 My husband dealt with a terrible staph infection years ago in his 20’s so we regularly heed infection control protocols. He’s a pipefitter & gets nasty every day but I guarantee u he won’t use someone else’s pen or touch a waiting room magazine. When he comes in from he has always took off his clothes/shoes @ the door. The main way so far this pandemic has affected me is the shopping like @Newdude mentioned. I generally don’t go but every 2 weeks & then it was grocery pick up. That got all screwed up. I think its getting back to normal now at least. Thankful that mostly I’ve only been inconvenienced so far as others have had far worse issues.

Back in January, the guy I sit next to at work came back from a trip to Egypt. He had a cough that he could not shake for about 10 days. No fever, negative for strep and flu, just a nagging cough.

About 2 weeks later my entire house came down with something. Felt like a bad flu for about 10 days. I and one daughter tested positive for flu, my wife and other daughter tested negative for strep and flu.

In June, I had my normal physical and just for the heck of it my Doctor ordered a COVID blood test. Turns out I have long term antibodies. Meaning I had it sometime, before May 2020.

Aside from that bought of *whatever* back in January, I have not been sick at all. No fever, no coughs, nothing. So I guess I had it, maybe in January, who knows.

Back in January, the guy I sit next to at work came back from a trip to Egypt
Did the guy that went to Egypt ever get tested? At least for antibodies?

For the longest time in CA you could only get tested if you were showing symptoms. At least according to my Health insurance. Which is just backwards. I do a lot of onsite service work in my job.. it seemed odd that I couldn't get tested as a baseline. It is now generally available with a two day turn around. but most people don't know that.

Back in January, the guy I sit next to at work came back from a trip to Egypt. He had a cough that he could not shake for about 10 days. No fever, negative for strep and flu, just a nagging cough.

About 2 weeks later my entire house came down with something. Felt like a bad flu for about 10 days. I and one daughter tested positive for flu, my wife and other daughter tested negative for strep and flu.

In June, I had my normal physical and just for the heck of it my Doctor ordered a COVID blood test. Turns out I have long term antibodies. Meaning I had it sometime, before May 2020.

Aside from that bought of *whatever* back in January, I have not been sick at all. No fever, no coughs, nothing. So I guess I had it, maybe in January, who knows.

Last December just before Christmas we took a week long vacation in Fort Lauderdale FL. We both got sick at the end of our trip. At the time we thought it was just really bad colds. Now I wonder if it could have been Covid that far back.

We haven’t been tested for antibodies. I’m don‘t think a result either way would change the precautions we are taking.

Ok, he was negative. When we called the school nurse to get him cleared to go back, we got the "While I have you, I need to notify you that one of his teachers is in quarantine because their spouse tested positive".

I think its going to be a long cold/flu/COVID season. In the meantime, wash your hands and wear a mask :)

Our entire district has been on "Zoom school" since March. No one has set foot in a classroom yet. I don't think school is as effective in Zoom, but I don't have to worry about my son being exposed. I don't think teens think or worry about germs that much, so not as hygienic as an adult would be. Tough times.

Our entire district has been on "Zoom school" since March. No one has set foot in a classroom yet. I don't think school is as effective in Zoom, but I don't have to worry about my son being exposed. I don't think teens think or worry about germs that much, so not as hygienic as an adult would be. Tough times.

Since you bring it up.. here is my open ended list of musings on the Virtual Home Classroom experience:

-Classes are not at school... so the teachers are not there to look over the student's shoulders
-Classes are at home so the responsibility has shifted to the parents to look over their student's shoulders.
-The parents are not in the loop on anything, unless you stick your nose in and ask.
-If you stick your nose in and ask you are in danger of treading into 'Helicopter Parenthood'
-If you ask anyway, some teachers take it as an affront to their teaching style.
-The teachers are clueless how to work within the online class structure they are supposed to provide. so they make it up. They are doing the best they can.
-The administrators are only slightly less clueless as to how work within the online class structure the teachers are supposed to be providing. With each teacher making it up, they are herding cats.
-So you ask each teacher and administrators anyway... and see what you get back.
-Parents are told to monitor the district student portal where all grades and assignments for each student are ultimately posted... but not all teachers keep it up to date with the same currency.
-Parents are also told to monitor classwork through the Google Classroom (GC). But not all classwork is done through the GC. Some use it more that others, some use email, some use sharing. Imagine doing a PE class through GC?
-There does not seem to be a Parent Portal backend to GC, so parents are expected to login with the student's credentials to review the student's progress. And if the parent accidentally messes up their student's GC assignment... the student claims my Dad ate my homework
-It is up to each teacher to decide if they want to turn on the Guardian Summaries in GC so the parent can receive a daily/weekly progress email... I only got one teacher to comply, one declined and two ignored the request.
-Not all Teachers are tech savvy.. YMMV there; It took one teacher a week to figure out how to log into her own virtual classroom, while the students stare at a black PC screen. Another teacher posted a 20 minute video for parents to review about how her class will run this semester, but only gave us a 10 minute time slot to view it.
-Students are continually frustrated by having to deal with the tech hurdles.. so they shut down and ignore it. To quote my son after spending an hour trying to log into Virtual Back to School Night... "Dad, do what we do and give up."
-Students are multitasking at least three things while in the virtual classroom, usually more: The Class, The teacher's virtual chalk board, The group text session with their buds in that class, The online game they are playing with their buds in that class, The social networking sites their buds are posting to while playing an online game while in that class, Breakfast, The dog licking his butt on the bed, the parent sticking his head in the room to check and see if their student is focused, and if there are any time slices left in his noggin; homework.
-I have come to revel in the irony of receiving absence notification emails from the attendance office for my student.
-One teacher recommended I contact the district IT department if I have any questions... does she really want me to open that Pandora's box? Sure.. send an IT guy to talk to tech support about his son's education?!.. I guarantee it will be messy.
I reserve the right to add to this list as I see fit
M

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.