Anyone feel like solving a pool mystery?

Exactly. And boy do I have a lot to say on that topic, but I better not derail this thread any more than I already have!

Aren't we gonna cringe when the new owners come to TFP looking to fix that funky pool up?! The front of the house is bizarre also- looks like someone slapped a birdhouse with octagonal window on the front for the bird to fly in to....perhaps as seal food?

Maddie

• Haha
Reactions: Justify and riny
@Dirk you mean like the pool alarm people? They collect a cool $200-300 on every new pool installation for surface alarms and door chimes that are needed to pass inspection. These things are then immediately disabled / thrown away because they do nothing but go off for no reason at all hours of the day and night. It's like a new-pool-owner tax that Lifebuoy/Poolguard/etc. are happy to collect.

I'm upset to hear those things don't work. We've had several near drownings in my area over the years, and one actual one that I remember.

What he means is they work TOO well.... a strong breeze sets them off. Leaves dropping in the pool set them off. They annoy people to death so they remove them pronto.

I'm a big fan of automatic safety covers..... a flip of the key switch and the pool is open or closed. Of course they're a tad pricey. Fencing and door locks are basic and don't usually break the bank.

Maddie

Reactions: Justify
Aren't we gonna cringe when the new owners come to TFP looking to fix that funky pool up

‘ Hey everybody I’m new to the site after buying a house with a pool ‘

**group snickers**. Oh. Wow. That’s the first we’ve seen like that.

My house/pool was inspected and purchased with multiple violations of those door and fence safety codes. I think some, but not all, were called out in the home inspection report. Didn't phase my bank. I fixed most of the violations, but not the door alarms. G-kids would be setting those off every five minutes. I barricade the exterior doors with locks when they visit. That tunnel to the "Hogan's Heroes Pool" doesn't appear to have ever been secured. Would love to have a peek at one of that house's home inspection reports!

Hope you don't mind. I named the thread the next owners will use for their first post... Or is "The Great Escape Pool" better?

What he means is they work TOO well.... a strong breeze sets them off. Leaves dropping in the pool set them off. They annoy people to death so they remove them pronto.

I'm a big fan of automatic safety covers..... a flip of the key switch and the pool is open or closed. Of course they're a tad pricey. Fencing and door locks are basic and don't usually break the bank.

Maddie

That's what I meant. If they work too well, they don't work at all. When we moved into our house with an inground pool 15 years ago, our kids were 5 & 4. We didn't have any real security devices, except a wire garden fence around the pool. We kept a close eye on them, but we were always worried. Luckily, they swam like fish shortly after we moved in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.