Anyone feel like solving a pool mystery?

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Aren't we gonna cringe when the new owners come to TFP looking to fix that funky pool up?! The front of the house is bizarre also- looks like someone slapped a birdhouse with octagonal window on the front for the bird to fly in to....perhaps as seal food?

Maddie

• Haha
Reactions: Justify and riny

Jeff J.

Aug 6, 2019
Staten Island NY
@Dirk you mean like the pool alarm people? They collect a cool $200-300 on every new pool installation for surface alarms and door chimes that are needed to pass inspection. These things are then immediately disabled / thrown away because they do nothing but go off for no reason at all hours of the day and night. It's like a new-pool-owner tax that Lifebuoy/Poolguard/etc. are happy to collect.
I'm upset to hear those things don't work. We've had several near drownings in my area over the years, and one actual one that I remember.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
What he means is they work TOO well.... a strong breeze sets them off. Leaves dropping in the pool set them off. They annoy people to death so they remove them pronto.

I'm a big fan of automatic safety covers..... a flip of the key switch and the pool is open or closed. Of course they're a tad pricey. Fencing and door locks are basic and don't usually break the bank.

Maddie

Reactions: Justify

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
My house/pool was inspected and purchased with multiple violations of those door and fence safety codes. I think some, but not all, were called out in the home inspection report. Didn't phase my bank. I fixed most of the violations, but not the door alarms. G-kids would be setting those off every five minutes. I barricade the exterior doors with locks when they visit. That tunnel to the "Hogan's Heroes Pool" doesn't appear to have ever been secured. Would love to have a peek at one of that house's home inspection reports!

Hope you don't mind. I named the thread the next owners will use for their first post... Or is "The Great Escape Pool" better?

Jeff J.

Aug 6, 2019
Staten Island NY
What he means is they work TOO well.... a strong breeze sets them off. Leaves dropping in the pool set them off. They annoy people to death so they remove them pronto.

I'm a big fan of automatic safety covers..... a flip of the key switch and the pool is open or closed. Of course they're a tad pricey. Fencing and door locks are basic and don't usually break the bank.

Maddie
That's what I meant. If they work too well, they don't work at all. When we moved into our house with an inground pool 15 years ago, our kids were 5 & 4. We didn't have any real security devices, except a wire garden fence around the pool. We kept a close eye on them, but we were always worried. Luckily, they swam like fish shortly after we moved in.