Anyone else have a never ending tug of war between pH and TA in their spa?

wayner

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2012
Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
This is a typical situation in my spa. I will do a test. pH is 8.2, TA is 50. I will add some MA to bring the pH down to 7.4 but the TA falls to 20. So I add banking soda to get the TA back to 50 and the pH goes back above 8. Rinse and repeat.

How do I win this battle?

You are yo-yoing your TA between the MA and baking soda.

Reduce your pH to 7.6-7.8 and leave your TA alone. Accept whatever TA you get. As long as your pH is stable your TA is fine.

just let the TA ride. I have the same problem and can't seem to stop having to add MA to my spa but maybe try and target 7.8 instead of 7.4
by the time the PH starts to sort of stabilize it is usually time to dump the water and start again. hopefully someone else will come along with a better suggestion.

You are yo-yoing your TA between the MA and baking soda.

Reduce your pH to 7.6-7.8 and leave your TA alone. Accept whatever TA you get. As long as your pH is stable your TA is fine.
Thanks, but in a spa aren't you going to always have rising pH from the aeration? So adding MA is always going to be a regular occurrence, is it not?

Thanks, but in a spa aren't you going to always have rising pH from the aeration? So adding MA is always going to be a regular occurrence, is it not?

Correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.