Anyone else clean their pool using this technique?

This is a funny coincidence. I just helped my brother-in-law take down a deck around his above ground pool last Sunday. After the work, we got in and he did the same thing. He weighs about 250 and had all the debris and leaves in the middle in about two minutes!

It's really a great idea.

The idea that the coriolis force has an effect on water draining is a complete myth. There is no difference in the way water drains in the northern and southern hemispheres. Coriolis force affects large things like weather systems where the force difference from on side to the other is significant. See www.snopes.com if you still believe it.

A Quick Note:

In my experience (limited when it comes to AG pool use) the debris settles into the center anyway when there is only the one return properly pointed.

The Coriolis effect is for Macro systems (oceans, hurricanes, weather), in Micro systems (a pool) it can be ignored as it is such a small effect, a 1/4 hp pump easily overcomes the influence of the Earth's motion.

Snopes, in this case, debunks a little too hard. The Coriolis force does act on draining water. Snopes admits this but then says that since the force is very small it doesn't effect how water drains. Pretty poor reasoning on their part. Yes, the Coriolios Force is very small but, barring other forces acting counter to it, it will cause the water to drain in clockwise fashion in in the northern hemisphere. I'll grant that other forces are almost always present; sometimes those forces act in concert with the Coriolis force and sometimes counter to it.

I'm on my way out to round up a few 12 year old boys. I'm gonna have them clean the pool (counterclockwise so that Mr. du Coriolis can help).

I used this technique in our 15 foot AG last summer. It just seemed like a good idea and it worked pretty good. Filters in (cheap) AG pools are almost pointless because once dirt gets to the bottom half of the pool, the filter has no chance of cleaning it.

I also did this because my 4-year old daughter loved being caught in the whirlpool.

After reading this topic and being a new pool owner, I just had to give it a try. The day before I had attempted to vacuum the pool and of course missed several spots. I did the power walk about 3 times around the pool and then got out. Before I could get dried off, I looked back and right in the middle of the pool, there was a small area where all the debri had collected. I immediately hooked up the vacuum and the pool was clean. What a simple but effective technique.

Attachments

• Pool Installation May 2008 042.JPG
    Pool Installation May 2008 042.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm with Shelly, our oval AG deposits it all on the outer edges. We used to do the whirlpool thing when we had round pools though.

Yep, I do the whirl and scoop cleaning method a lot in my 18' round AG. You really only need to give it about 10 minutes to settle before it is scoop-ready. Usually it's a solo whirlpool, tho... not nearly as much fun!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.