Anybody have their Intex AGP liner lose its color?

welbo

Apr 14, 2016
College Station, TX
All of the color in mine has gone away below the water line. It's just white now. I've been pretty religious about keeping the FC level inside the FC/CYA chart. I did SLAM once for 4 days with one overshoot but the fading started well after. It happened over about a month, or maybe three weeks. This is the 3rd year for the liner and first year for TFP. It had a few bleached spots from where shock granular settled on the bottom from years past before switching to TFP.

I'm not sure it's all bad. A solid white pool is kind of neat. But now I'm thinking of ways to dye the water. Using TFP, the water is so clear, I don't think I'll ever be able to keep that white bottom clean.

Yes, after 3 years mine is nearly white as well. Other than that and a couple of small rust stains on the support tees, there's really nothing wrong with it, and I leave it up year round.

I don't really mind it, but I won't be too upset if I have to replace it next year either. I figure 3 good years out of one of these pools is a bargain

Here's how faded mine is.

temporary_zpshpn67jgk.jpg

Mine has started, though not nearly as bad as the ones posted above. But it's only our second year, and I took it down last winter. I won't be doing that this year, so I'm guessing it's going to gets worse. I'm always envious of the other liners I see here on the forum, and with a little more work, we'll have one in a few years.

IMG_1082.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine was fine until about a month ago when it started bleaching out very fast. Everything below the water line but the bottom is almost completely white while the sides still have a little bit of color. This is the first year I have used bleach to treat the pool. So I have three theories.
1. Bleach will cause a liner to bleach out
2. The water is soooo clear now that the sunlight was able to bleach it out.
3. While I was gone for two weeks, my wife over serviced the chlorine level.

In any case, it doesn't bother me too much. I got in just after noon today and noticed a huge difference in temperature zones with the top foot very warm and getting progressively cooler deeper. The pump hadn't run since about 5 am so there was not mixing in the water. I wonder if that is because the white bottom doesn't absorb as much heat as the dark blue did or if I just never had gotten in after the water heat soaked with no circulation.

It would concern me if I were to get a new liner. Anyone else have a theory on why this happens?

Mine was fine until about a month ago when it started bleaching out very fast. Everything below the water line but the bottom is almost completely white while the sides still have a little bit of color. This is the first year I have used bleach to treat the pool. So I have three theories.

In any case, it doesn't bother me too much. I got in just after noon today and noticed a huge difference in temperature zones with the top foot very warm and getting progressively cooler deeper. The pump hadn't run since about 5 am so there was not mixing in the water. I wonder if that is because the white bottom doesn't absorb as much heat as the dark blue did or if I just never had gotten in after the water heat soaked with no circulation.

It would concern me if I were to get a new liner. Anyone else have a theory on why this happens?

If you all can provide us with the CYA level and what you keep your FC at, it might help diagnose any problems.

I think your #2 is not applicable as the Sun shines on the liner above water line too but it didn't affect it that much. Must be #3 then :)

I think your #2 is not applicable as the Sun shines on the liner above water line too but it didn't affect it that much. Must be #3 then :)

Yeah, I was happy to pin it on her but she's actually pretty good at testing. Then she calls me and I look up the quantity to add via pool math. My CYA has been at 50 and I've been running FC between 5 and 9. That may not be exact. I go by pool math. Whatever it says. I've been using Wal-Mart Pool Essentials 10%. I usually add about a half gallon a day.

Well, I hope that number 1 isn't the culprit. My previous liner was almost white when I replaced it in the Spring after only a year of using chlorine. It was already faded when I switched to TFPC so I really can't be sure but I'm watching very carefully for signs of fading in my new liner. If it starts to bleach out below the water line I don't know what I'll do because the water in my pool is absolutely pristine. Best it's ever been.

welbo said:
4. Intex used the cheapest ink to meet their price point.

My money is on #4, especially when TFPC is involved.

It's amazing that even with everything we teach here about CYA to FC ratios & minimal chemicals, a lot of people will still blame the bleach.

Dom

4. Intex used the cheapest ink to meet their price point.

My money is on #4, especially when TFPC is involved.

It's amazing that even with everything we teach here about CYA to FC ratios & minimal chemicals, a lot of people will still blame the bleach.

Dom

I figured someone on this board was going to be offended by my question. But if you follow the logic, the bleach is a natural conclusion. And your insinuation that TFP has exposed my liner to less chemicals is surely wrong. On the contrary, when I was treating with dichlor and tabs, my cya level had likely climbed very high. And I was not nearly as active in testing and treating the water. So the water back then likely had lower effective chlorine most of the time.

I have no doubt Intex used low quality ink. It seems like three years may even be a natural life limit to these liners. It's hard to argue that bleach didn't play a role though. As I said above, my water has been "properly" chlorinated this year, where it was likely under chlorinated for a lot of the previous years. So it may be that a faded liner is a side effect of beautiful, sanitary pool water. I'm OK with that and it looks like a lot of other folks are too. That was the purpose of the post... learn if it was just me and if not how other folks handled it.

I figured someone on this board was going to be offended by my question. But if you follow the logic, the bleach is a natural conclusion. And your insinuation that TFP has exposed my liner to less chemicals is surely wrong. On the contrary, when I was treating with dichlor and tabs, my cya level had likely climbed very high. And I was not nearly as active in testing and treating the water. So the water back then likely had lower effective chlorine most of the time.

I have no doubt Intex used low quality ink. It seems like three years may even be a natural life limit to these liners. It's hard to argue that bleach didn't play a role though. As I said above, my water has been "properly" chlorinated this year, where it was likely under chlorinated for a lot of the previous years. So it may be that a faded liner is a side effect of beautiful, sanitary pool water. I'm OK with that and it looks like a lot of other folks are too. That was the purpose of the post... learn if it was just me and if not how other folks handled it.
I'm not offended at all, nor should you be by my post.

There are thousands of vinyl liner pools on this forum. If 'proper sanitation levels' were bleaching out 'quality inked' liners I would be suspicious, but that does not seem to be the case at all.

I love my Intex pool, second season with TFPC and I don't yet notice fading. I'm sure the chlorine bleached the liner as well, but is most likely not because of the TFP recommended FC levels, but because of the lower quality, less chlorine resistant inks used.

If you wrote on the inside of your pool with a Sharpie (or other non-chlorine resistant marker), and it faded out, would you blame the chlorine, or the Sharpie?

Dom

What is it in the bleach that causes this? OMG, it's chlorine!! That's hardly a revelation.

Well, if it's chlorine, why doesn't everyone's liner bleach out? I believe it is because there are certain guidelines that we have learned to follow that protect us from that. They are widely published and wildly successful.

Can a liner be so cheaply printed that even normal guidelines don't work? Yes, I believe that, also.

Intex notoriously makes the very cheapest pools and pool parts......that they might print a liner with the cheapest materials makes sense, too.

Why did your liner fade?

1. Overdose of chlorine outside safe guidelines? Perhaps

2. Cheap printing with inferior inks? Perhaps

3. Maybe a combination of both? Very likely

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.