Anybody have any experience with Electric Shock Sensors for pools

Jul 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Recently a lifeguard at a public pool was electrocuted when she put her hand on the metal ladder. She had just arrived at the pool in the morning to open the pool and she was all alone. It was found out that the pool pump had failed and water got in the motor and there were some problems with the electrical wiring that cause the breaker not to trip. I have seen products on the market that you can put in the pool and it will sound a alarm if it senses electrical current. My question is do they work and is one better than another one?

Let me preface this with an alarm should never replace a good bonded system.

Now for MY opinion.
The only electrical sensing devices that I would trust are the ones that actually reference a good ground. Most of the units you run across do not reference ground.

The one I've seen lately is the Shock-Guard 24/7. It actually connects to earth ground and there's a physical probe in the water so it can sense any voltage potential between ground and the water. I'm sure there are more, but when you're looking make sure that it references ground.

Wow that's awful.

Something else everyone should do to be up to current code
is install a GFCI breaker if they only have a standard breaker
on the pump motor.

I replaced mine a few weeks after moving into the house
just to be on the safe side.

"Bama Rambler" I agree with you that the bonding system is number one but I also believe that you can't be to safe and the alarm would be good as a secondary system if it is reliable. I do not know of anyone that has the alarm but for me it would need to work 100% of the time and it should be fail safe meaning if it has a malfunction it should alarm so that you know it is not working properly.

"domct203" I believe the investigation concluded that someone had previously worked on the pump and did not reattach the bonding wire. I think they also found some other electrical problems as well. It was sad that this young girl lost her life. The local government enacted a new rule that all public pools be inspected by a licensed electrician yearly.

The pool ladder should be grounded per code with a copper bonding wire. The gfci - ground fault circuit interrupter should be checked for the pool light. If it's not installed or serviced by an approved pool contractor then I wouldn't go into the pool. Water and electric don't mix, that's the point of the gfci. It trips when it detects a change of current on the line. E.g. To protect humans in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.