Any way to cool down water without a chiller?

Mandy M.

Bronze Supporter
Aug 6, 2020
Houston, TX
We came home from vacation to discover our heater on and the whole pool heated to 99F. 🙈 Will it cool or are we doomed to swim in a hot tub the rest of the summer?? We're in Houston, so it's about that hot outside. The pool does get shade a good part of the day.

Ouch! You can try inexpensive PVC misters and see what they do. They work off of the same principle as the Glacier chiller - evaporation - but I didn’t find them very effective in the Dallas climate. I’d get a 3-4° cool down overnight, but pool temp would be back in the 90s by the afternoon. With the chiller, my pool rarely gets over 83° even with 100+ air temps.

Reactions: Mandy M.
Ouch! You can try inexpensive PVC misters and see what they do. They work off of the same principle as the Glacier chiller - evaporation - but I didn’t find them very effective in the Dallas climate. I’d get a 3-4° cool down overnight, but pool temp would be back in the 90s by the afternoon. With the chiller, my pool rarely gets over 83° even with 100+ air temps.

What's funny (not funny) is that my husband and I were talking about chillers on vacation and decided it wasn't worth the $ because our pool normally stays cooler than most due to the shade. 😭

I’m in my 6th or 7th year with the chiller and was hoping the tree canopy had grown enough that I wouldn’t need the chiller this year. Pool is now shaded until around 11 am but then gets full sun until around 3:30pm. Once water got to 87°, I turned the chiller on. Maybe next year….

I’m in my 6th or 7th year with the chiller and was hoping the tree canopy had grown enough that I wouldn’t need the chiller this year. Pool is now shaded until around 11 am but then gets full sun until around 3:30pm. Once water got to 87°, I turned the chiller on. Maybe next year….
I have a love/hate relationship with our trees. They dump a TON of Crud in my pool and I am constantly netting it out, but the whole pool is in shade by 3-4 in the afternoon, and the deep end is shaded by noon. I don't think we've ever gotten out of the 80s before, although I don't regularly check temp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a love/hate relationship with our trees
Same here. Our patio areas mostly get great shade, but you can see that the pool is now about 1/2 sun exposure, 1/2 shade. That’ll last another 15-20 minutes and then pool is mostly in the sun. Patios stay shaded all day, except for the one off the shallow end of the pool near the spa. I’d get rid of the pool before I’d get rid of the trees. They’re the only way we can enjoy the backyard during the summer. (The mess in the picture is because I’m BBQing in prep for a party later today. 🙂)

1656948233569.jpeg

I use a sprinkler attached to the jet like this 👇
Pool Fountain Waterfall Spray, Briidea Adjustable Water Fun Sprinklers Cool Pool Accessories Decor, Fits Most 1.5" In Ground & Above Ground Return Jets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099N5ZL2R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NSDNFJ49328ZY80XEJ61

My 26k gal pool was 86 degrees yesterday evening- i ran it all night - now I’m at 84 degrees. I plan to run it around the clock until the heat wave passes. I do this every year & my pool is comfortable when my neighbor’s pools are like bathtubs.
They do work- the more height u can get the better (air exposure = more evaporative cooling). If u can use multiple- even better. Keep an eye on ph & water level.
They work best before the water gets too hot but they will still help after. Adding some shade around the pool is helpful too (shade sails/umbrellas).
4D8B2508-8445-4EAE-B735-1962028C35E7.png

We came home from vacation to discover our heater on and the whole pool heated to 99F. 🙈 Will it cool or are we doomed to swim in a hot tub the rest of the summer?? We're in Houston, so it's about that hot outside. The pool does get shade a good part of the day.
That heat added will quickly leave and things will be as before the heater left on. I wish pool or spa water retained heat from heater, as that would save me a ton of gas bill!

the whole pool heated to 99F. 🙈 Will it cool

Yes, it will cool overnight. How much is the question? Check the temp in the morning and let us know how much it dropped. If say it got down to 95 in the morning, how much warmer during the day tomorrow would it get when starting off at 95 degrees. Then tomorrow night to Wednesday morning, it should lower another 4 degrees or so. I would think, but I really don't know. It would be great for us overall to find out in the Houston heat how much water temperature can drop overnight with evaporative cooling when starting off at 99 degrees. 🥵

Yes, it will cool overnight. How much is the question? Check the temp in the morning and let us know how much it dropped. If say it got down to 95 in the morning, how much warmer during the day tomorrow would it get when starting off at 95 degrees. Then tomorrow night to Wednesday morning, it should lower another 4 degrees or so. I would think, but I really don't know. It would be great for us overall to find out in the Houston heat how much water temperature can drop overnight with evaporative cooling when starting off at 99 degrees. 🥵
I'll check and report back! Planning to run the pump all night with water feature and aerators.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Same here. Our patio areas mostly get great shade, but you can see that the pool is now about 1/2 sun exposure, 1/2 shade. That’ll last another 15-20 minutes and then pool is mostly in the sun. Patios stay shaded all day, except for the one off the shallow end of the pool near the spa. I’d get rid of the pool before I’d get rid of the trees. They’re the only way we can enjoy the backyard during the summer. (The mess in the picture is because I’m BBQing in prep for a party later today. 🙂)

View attachment 431904
Beautiful backyard!

Reactions: jark87
Still 92 this morning! 🥵
Keep those water features going! Evaporative cooling still takes place during the day-
just watch the ph & water level
For added fun & refreshment- u can set the hose up to spray or sprinkle when u need to replace evaporated water. 🤩

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.