Any suggestions on automation for a timer?

wayner

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2012
Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My pool system used to have a Jandy pool heater that was able to control the pump and had a timer. But then I switched to a Raypak heater and it doesn't control the pump. But I ahve connected the Firemans switch of the Raypak heater into a relay so that I can automate control of the heater. But that only gives me on/off, assuming that the switch on the heater is set to on. And I don't know the temperature.

I would like to have an automated way of controlling the pool, ideally from a web based app or something with an API so you could turn it off with something like http://poolcontroller/startpump or something like that.

I would like to tie this into my Home Automation system which is Control4.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to use? Are the things like Jandy Aqualink worthwhile? What other smart controllers are there? The Aqualink seems very expensive for the functionality that they give you.

Ideally I would like something that can give me all of the info on my Saltwater system - temperature, salinity, flow, plus temperature and a timer for both heater and pump.

Am I dreaming in technicolor?

I think @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta uses a Sonof timer with a temperature sensor to control his heater.
I use a Sonoff TH-16 with temp probe to control my Pentair heater. Sonoff replaced the TH-16 with a better unit that now provides dry contacts (for connection to the fireman's switch) and historical data. It's controlled by the eWeLink app which is compatible with Alexa/Google Home apps. Here is the updated unit:

https://www.amazon.com/SONOFF-Origin-Temperature-Humidity-Monitoring/dp/B0B5GM1LTG?th=1

For the temperature probe, I used a thermowell threaded into a tee-fitting.

20220402_133517-jpg.411581

It can't do everything you want it to do. The unit is powered by 120/240 volts and provides dry contacts for connection to the fireman's switch. The app allows you to schedule on/off times, set temps, and monitor activity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.