Any other options for Tanning Ledge covering/construction??

bentzh2002

Feb 22, 2020
Wilmington, NC
First time posting so please bear with me. Looking to purchase a 14x30 IG liner pool and want a tanning ledge installed to run the full 14' across one end. I may be crazy for asking this but I have 2 dogs that I know without a doubt I will not be able to keep out of the pool so I would be terrified to continue liner over the ledge & steps (even at 27/30 mil). Does anyone know if there is another option for covering the ledge? Basically asking if you can run the liner up to the edge of the ledge and use something else for the "walkable" areas? Apologies if I'm talking craziness, if so just tell me NO and I'll drop the thought! ? ?

I have a liner pool with a hard surface ledge. Love it. No worries about dogs, rowdy teens, furniture or 7 year old mermaids with all their 'stuff'. The liner attaches to the ledge under the water surface. Its a relatively unique technique (at least in this area) of the PB when doing pools such as ours. I was initially skeptical, but i talked with other owners with this combo and none have ever had any issues. One just changed liners after 11 years and never had any issues. For us, so far so good. I guess down the road when the time comes to replace the liner, the PB will have to do it, but i would have called him to do it anyway.
At any rate, it works very well for us.

Attachments

• 20190904_161457.jpg
    20190904_161457.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 20190719_194541.jpg
    20190719_194541.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Love
Reactions: String2005
I have a liner pool with a hard surface ledge. Love it. No worries about dogs, rowdy teens, furniture or 7 year old mermaids with all their 'stuff'. The liner attaches to the ledge under the water surface. Its a relatively unique technique (at least in this area) of the PB when doing pools such as ours. I was initially skeptical, but i talked with other owners with this combo and none have ever had any issues. One just changed liners after 11 years and never had any issues. For us, so far so good. I guess down the road when the time comes to replace the liner, the PB will have to do it, but i would have called him to do it anyway.
Wow beautiful pool!

I don't think I've ever been more jealous of someone's pool! Beautiful and fun.

@BMK That is EXACTLY what I was hoping someone would tell me! Thank you so much. Can you tell me if the ledge was constructed with concrete and then covered in slate? Trying to get an idea of how I will need to explain it to my PB so he doesn't look at me like I'm crazy.....again! ? Do you know if a special track or "system" had to be used to attach the liner to the ledge (under water)? Sorry for all the questions but I am SO EXCITED to hear this is possible and as a bonus it looks good too! Your pool is BEAUTIFUL! Thank you.

Last edited:
I was out of town for the initial portion of the build, but what I remember is the ledge and steps were poured early on. The liner track, i believe, was attached or embedded to the face and sides at that time. Later in the build, the surface was heavily scored, and a layer of something else was poured over it. It's a solid, waterproof layer...the stone look was carved in. (I did manage to get the kid's names, handprints and date pressed in before it dried). I can reach out to the PB to get you better details...we remain friends and talk 'shop' now and then. Attached is the only pic that I have showing the ledge before the top layer was applied.

Attachments

• 20200526_075330.jpg
    20200526_075330.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
I was out of town for the initial portion of the build, but what I remember is the ledge and steps were poured early on. The liner track, i believe, was attached or embedded to the face and sides at that time. Later in the build, the surface was heavily scored, and a layer of something else was poured over it. It's a solid, waterproof layer...the stone look was carved in. (I did manage to get the kid's names, handprints and date pressed in before it dried). I can reach out to the PB to get you better details...we remain friends and talk 'shop' now and then. Attached is the only pic that I have showing the ledge before the top layer was applied.
@BMK Thank you so much for the in-process pic! I would be incredibly grateful if you could ask your PB how/what he used to create the ledge and steps. I've been doing research fo so long and this is as close as I've come to seeing what's only been in my head. If I can go to my PB with some real knowledge and instruction maybe he won't look at me like im crazy! :crazy: Thank you again for all your help.

I will text him...i've got someting else to talk with him about anyway.
One thing to note...if you look at the picture, you can see that the ledge area, construction wise, is almost a seperate entity thats tied in to the rest of the pool. The liner pool w/ steel walls, etc, appears to terminate at the ledge.

Reactions: bentzh2002

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.