Any other lawn enthusiasts?

I just added 9-32lb bags of Milorganite to the yard today. All other lawn care treatments done by a company. I just add that as slower long term boost for the yard.

Reactions: david_
Milo is nice as it can't burn. But it'd cost me a fortune to get enough nitrogen down if it's all I used. Each bag of Milo is about 2lbs of nitrogen vs. 15lbs per bag of what I normally buy. Gotta love the smell. :)

I haven’t jumped on the fertilizer train yet- my husband doesn’t want the grass to grow any faster than it already does 🤣
I had some milorganite in my cart last year but before I pulled the trigger they ran out!
May give it a shot this year, only up by the house though. I definitely don’t have the coin to fert almost 3 acres.

I had found a forum similar to TFP( Lawn Care Forum ), and discovered all kinds of treatments .
I used to geek out over our bermuda lawn and was even one of the original authors of the "Bermuda Bible" when it was on garden web. I googled and it is still alive and kicking on the Lawn Care forum, but now rebranded as the new testament.

I used to know by the minute when each zone on the sprinklers put out 1" of water. I even went 100% organic for a few years, which included driving to feed stores in BFE to get corn gluten meal to use as a pre-emergent and soybean meal as my fertilizer. For Christmas one year I even bought a push reel mower and mowed the bermuda every few days and made the lawn look like a putting green. Man, I had so much time before kids.

I dont use Milo, smells too bad and too expensive. Spraying 46-0-0 was the cheapest way to go. But that stuff has gone way up in price. I am going to ask the golf course if I can buy some from them at the wholesale prices. I have found 12-0-12 at Walmart that is pretty cheap and very easy to use.

I added some Milorganite this weekend, but my yard is small so I can get by with 1 bag.

I like the added iron since it greens up the bermuda nicely. I just try not to think about the fact that Milorganite is previously consumed bratwurst and beer by a bunch of Green Bay Packer fans, packaged up by the Milwaulkee Sewage Plant. 🌭🍺:poop:

Fellow enthusiast here. I've got ~30ksqft of TTTF that I maintain, about 10ksqft of which I but serious effort into in the front yard. I've got a 21 gallon tow behind spreader for pre-emergent Prodiamine applications. I also occasionally post on TLF under the same name.

Reactions: david_
Join the discussion at....

Reactions: Sidemoves

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm going further down that rabbit hole. I've always done my own lawn care but did so blindly. Just like you don't add chemicals to your pool without testing, you don't toss down fertilizer without testing. This spring I got my first test done by the local agriculture extension service. The results for the front and back yard couldn't be further apart. While the front yard has low P and K levels, the back yard was way over the optimal levels. Optimal for phosphorus (P) is 70, mine was 162. Around here, people say you can't have too much lime. The former owners must have followed that since the pH of the front yard was 7.3 where 6 is ideal.

I think one reason for the different results is due to the pool installation. The front yard is common bermuda and the soil sample plugs had that reddish tan color of our local clay soils. When the former owner installed the pool, he redid all the landscaping in the back yard. The soil sample plugs had a rich brown color. He replaced the common bermuda with TifTuf hybrid bermuda. The extension service recommended 20 lbs/1000 sq.ft. of 5-10-10 in the front and 5 lbs/1000 sq.ft. of 20-0-0 in the back.

I need to buy a real soil test. I've tried the at-home ones and they don't provide much insight. Maybe next season.

I typically start the season with a balanced, then switch to 3-1-2 or similar for the rest of the season, always putting down 1lb N/thousand. I buy from my local feed store and they offer a few blends, all AMS based.

I haven’t jumped on the fertilizer train yet- my husband doesn’t want the grass to grow any faster than it already does 🤣
I had some milorganite in my cart last year but before I pulled the trigger they ran out!
May give it a shot this year, only up by the house though. I definitely don’t have the coin to fert almost 3 acres.
Cheapest price is Walmart. Price match it at Lowes or Home Depot. $16.95 vs $24 at Home Depot and $20.95 at Lowes. On a side note the cheap drop spreaders are all now junk. Just annoys me so bad that everything is made like garbage now. Found a used but in mint condition Spyker drop spreader (They run $700, I know that's nuts) for $300 but will last forever. Have to drive to pick it up about 50 miles away. I'm gonna do it next week.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I need to buy a real soil test. I've tried the at-home ones and they don't provide much insight. Maybe next season.

I typically start the season with a balanced, then switch to 3-1-2 or similar for the rest of the season, always putting down 1lb N/thousand. I buy from my local feed store and they offer a few blends, all AMS based.

Look to see if you have a local agriculture extension service. Many of them will do the soil test for free. Ours is free between April 1 and October 31. Between November 1 and March 31, the test is $4 per soil sample.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Look to see if you have a local agriculture extension service. Many of them will do the soil test for free. Ours is free between April 1 and October 31. Between November 1 and March 31, the test is $4 per soil sample.
I really should do this as well for the garden & the yard. It’s right down the street & I drive by all the time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.