Any ideas why my above ground metal frame pool bust and how can I prevent repeat?

It is extremely hard to tell if that slab is level or not. A localized defect where you are checking could cause it to be that far off. Heck, it even looks like a gap beneath the level itself. Once this pool bursts, before you put in the next one, I would rent a transit and shoot the whole slab on a 2 or 3 foot grid, just to see how bad (or good) it is.

I can't imagine any other reason for 3 pools all to fail in the exact same spot, except for them being out of level.

Roughousing, whirlpools, jumping over the side, etc is going to cause an out of level pool to fail sooner, but it is not the root cause.

If levelness is not the problem, maybe a local chemical weirdness in that part of the concrete pad that weakened the pool material, leading to these giant 'aneurysms' ... ?

After all, I think the OP said the pool is in direct contact with the concrete - that may not be a good thing, either chemically, or from the point of view of abrasion (as the pool moves around from the actions of the people swimming in it).

Until the entire slab is checked for level, we are all just speculating. It needs a transit or sorts used to check the entire slab, not just a 4' level used. I still believe that over abuse is also part of the problem. Not the entire problem, but with most certainty a contributing factor.

Not sure if I can communicate this very well, but when my blue blob pool was on in level ground, it rolled out over the top, pushing the topside down, not lifting up and bulging from the bottom. Very curious indeed!

How did they get a picture at the moment that it collapsed? It is interesting that it didn't damage the fence.

When the pool started to bubble the kids gathered round to watch the collapse...so we had the camera in hand. There was some damage to the fence but it was a simple repair.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for the input! We purchased and installed the same pool...temporary fix but hopefully it will get the kids through the summer. We will limit the rough play for now and consider other pool options.

Thanks everyone for the input! We purchased and installed the same pool...temporary fix but hopefully it will get the kids through the summer. We will limit the rough play for now and consider other pool options.
Please use caution, if this one should fail violently someone could get seriously hurt. It only takes 15 seconds to drown. God forbid a child should be at that part of the pool when it goes (I'm sure it will fail again as you have not determined root cause), they will be fighting the suction of the blowout, which could pull them under unexpectedly, even with "swimmies" on.

Personally, I would not take that chance.

Good luck, let us know when she blows.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wish I had a picture of the pool before it started bursting...the water was definitely not several inches off level.

I wish you would take a picture of the whole pool and all sides at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock so we can see the water line tile of this new set up.

We are not attacking you in our questions but 3 pool blow outs and now a 4th full of water just waiting to explode. You need to be concerned... very concerned because you are failing to find the root cause of these blow outs and as Dom noted, it could be deadly. This is not a joke.

It's odd that I ever had this experience. My last couple pools have been so un-level that you could ride the rails like a roller coaster.
But mine has always been on regular ground and not concrete slabs. Maybe the ground is more forgiving. Plus usually it's not completely un-level
to one side only, it's just un-level everywhere lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.