Any "gotchas" on replacing a burned out light?

Aug 6, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
The light in my pool has partially burned out after just 4 years of installation. I asked the pool installer the cost to replace and they quoted $900, which seems awfully high. It looks like I can do it myself for considerably less. My question is, is it really as simple as just unscrewing the retaining screw, pulling it out, taking the housing out and replacing the bulb or is there something I'm missing that would complicate the matter?

I'm not sure if this is of any relevance, but the light is a Hayward LED (not sure of the model) that cycles through the colors. I use a garage remote tied to the breaker box to turn it on and off, which is also how it cycles through the light colors.

No, it is not that simple as unscrewing a bulb and replacing it.

You need to pull the light fixture and cord out from it's connect at a junction box and pull the new light cord to the junction box. The wire pull may be easy or difficult. You never know.

Figure out the model of the light and we can discuss it more.

Well darn, I did some more digging and used my google-fu to confirm that it's a Hayward Universal ColorLogic, LPCUS11XXX. Unfortunately for me, it is a sealed unit so it's not just a matter of replacing the bulb. I also found out that this particular light is very overpriced and quite craptastic as the reviews for it are overwhelmingly negative. It sounds like for almost $700 you can expect the light to burn out within 2 years. In my case, it lasted twice as long.

So, the next question is what sort of light most people recommend? I like the idea of color changing LED, but between this and an equally craptastic Hayward pump that didn't survive 4 years, I'm over their products in general.

None of the pool color changing LED lights seem to have a long life and good value. I am happy keeping my 120V white incandescent pool lights.

You seem to pay your money and take your chances with LED pool lights.

None of the pool color changing LED lights seem to have a long life and good value. I am happy keeping my 120V white incandescent pool lights.

You seem to pay your money and take your chances with LED pool lights.
I'm beginning to notice this. The pool installer advised that I could replace with a Pentair since within 3 1/2 years both my Hayward pump and light both died out of warranty and I don't want to give them any more money for products that don't last. I decided to do some research on both Pentair and Hayward lights, and the reviews fare overwhelming in that they're both short-lasting garbage. So, next question, what are my best options? We like the interachangeability of the colors, but I also know this comes down to other factors such as voltage and the housing that's installed in the pool.

Ideally, I just want something that has color options and isn't going to cost me $1k every year or few to replace.

Depends which Pentair light your pool installer is suggesting.

I went back and checked the email. He just mentioned he could get the Pentair LED light for the same price as the Hayward, so my assumption was that it was the Intellibrite 5G based on what I was able to research. I'm not sure if that helps at all or not.

You can find threads about the IntelliBrite lights at...

They seem to last no longer then your Hayward light. I would go for whatever is the least expensive.

How much do you run your pool light?

I have never pulled my light assembly out of the niche, but I'm assuming this is what's inside (the remote looks identical to the one pictured). Bought this house almost 2 years ago, but no earthly idea how long it's been in use.

You can find threads about the IntelliBrite lights at...

They seem to last no longer then your Hayward light. I would go for whatever is the least expensive.

How much do you run your pool light?

I don't run it much at all, which is why I'm over Hayward. Their light didn't last 4 years, their pump didn't last 4 years, so I really don't want to throw my money in the trash with them. Unfortunately, it looks like all LED lights are overpriced and of the ones the vendor has provided, they all look like hot garbage - Jandy, Pentair, and Hayward. Seriously, how can an LED headlight for a vehicle last for tens of thousands of hours and a pool light, which costs twice as much, cannot last more than 100 hours of use?

At this point, I'm debating going to incandescent. Any other suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
... Seriously, how can an LED headlight for a vehicle last for tens of thousands of hours and a pool light, which costs twice as much, cannot last more than 100 hours of use?

At this point, I'm debating going to incandescent. Any other suggestions?

Car headlights don't have to be designed to run underwater, that's why. I looked long and hard about replacing my Halogen pool lights with LEDs... but I couldn't find a reason that made sense given the cost and short life span, as you have found. I've come to the conclusion it's the cost of wanting multi colored underwater light show.. Someday they will design them with a way to keep the electronics from overheating... in the meantime, I'm happy with putting a colored lens on my light ;) and at 4 bux a bulb when it does burn out.. I'm good with that.

Check and see what other type of light enclosures will work with your niche.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.