Anxiety Over...Replaster looks fabulous

Your post is making me feel much better about my my mini pebble selection. I was torn over all the options, finally chose tropics blue also. I'm sticking with the original mix of colors and adding in 10% light blue glass. Should be installed this week. If it turns out half as good as yours did I will be really happy!

Your post is making me feel much better about my my mini pebble selection. I was torn over all the options, finally chose tropics blue also. I'm sticking with the original mix of colors and adding in 10% light blue glass. Should be installed this week. If it turns out half as good as yours did I will be really happy!

I too was going to have them put in more light blue - only I was going to have them add more of the light blue pebbles (the light blue already being a part of the Tropics Blue color mix). Than I saw a pool where the upgrade was with those extra light blue mini pebbles and saw that it had very little overall impact. That's why I knew I had to have the PB add the glass if I wanted any visual snap to the finish. My thinking in adding more of the light blue mini pebbles to the batch was to have the base finish color of the tropics blue move a tad more toward the blue end of the grey spectrum (the base plaster color of the tropics blue being a deep blue grey, if that makes sense). But I abandoned that and said to heck with my budget, bring on the glass.

I do have two suggestions you might want to consider if your pocket book will allow it: First , and most importantly, I can't emphasize enough that you should bump that 10% up to 20%. The reason is that a 10% addition of glass in the mix is not going to show much, especially as you get to deeper water. You may well end up paying for something you will not see - or which will not have the beneficial affect you are seeking. Secondly, I would suggest that you not go with the 2-3 mm size glass pebbles that makes up one of the three glass colors of Stonescape's "Puerto Rico blend" glass upgrade which has light blue, dark blue and clear glass beads. Instead, ask your PB to add in the larger sized Jewelscape glass pebbles (also Stonescape). They are larger in size on average than the Puerto Rico glass bits and thus, will increase the odds of being seen.

Whatever you go with, I'm sure you'll like it. Good luck and be sure to post pics. Almost party time.

I keep coming back and admiring your pool finish. The custom pebble blend and tile choices are perfect! Would it be possible to take a very close up picture of the finish to see just what individual pebble colors are visible in it since you removed the tri-colored mix bags? Your pool colors look so great that I'm considering replicating them exactly in our hoped-for pool. Thank you!

I keep coming back and admiring your pool finish. The custom pebble blend and tile choices are perfect! Would it be possible to take a very close up picture of the finish to see just what individual pebble colors are visible in it since you removed the tri-colored mix bags? Your pool colors look so great that I'm considering replicating them exactly in our hoped-for pool. Thank you!

Here are some close ups of the modified tropics blue finish mini pebble. In addition to the abalone bits that are part of the standard recipe mix, I had the PB hand cast some more onto the surface at the end of the plastering process. Also, I did have some 3mm iridescent glass beads hand cast as well though they did not show up as much as I had expected, and don't affect the over all color (water color or surface color). The amount of the jewelscape glass bits added was 20%, which I believe is about 2 bags per each plaster/pebble batch, though not 100% certain. PD said he left out the bags that contain the tri color mix of light blue, green and red pebbles.

Close%20up%20of%20Modified%20Tropics%20Blue_zps6nfa6qfz.jpg

Pool%20Pic1_zpsufgwbsva.jpg

Hope these are helpful.

Reactions: Winter247
Here are some close ups of the modified tropics blue finish mini pebble. In addition to the abalone bits that are part of the standard recipe mix, I had the PB hand cast some more onto the surface at the end of the plastering process. Also, I did have some 3mm iridescent glass beads hand cast as well though they did not show up as much as I had expected, and don't affect the over all color (water color or surface color). The amount of the jewelscape glass bits added was 20%, which I believe is about 2 bags per each plaster/pebble batch, though not 100% certain. PD said he left out the bags that contain the tri color mix of light blue, green and red pebbles.

Close%20up%20of%20Modified%20Tropics%20Blue_zps6nfa6qfz.jpg

Pool%20Pic1_zpsufgwbsva.jpg

Hope these are helpful.
Thank you so much for posting your pics and description of what you did! I just decided to go with tropics blue (job will be done in the next week or two), but I wasn't crazy about the tri-color pebbles. Had no idea those were separate and the idea to change out with glass is brilliant. I'm really excited...I hope I can get my pb to do the same! Thanks again :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I sure got an education when I went to my local NTP distributor and saw that Tropics Blue comes in differnet formulas (ie upgrades). I think where the upgrade really shows well is in the shallow depths. Gives those areas a little more blue than is the case wih the stock Tropics Blue, which like so many finishes, can be a little on the grey side of the color spectrum. I know its pricey to do the upgrades but sometimes you just got to take the plunge (heat up some plastic in my case).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so I've revisited your Tropics Blue threads at least 20 times now (as if re-reading everything is going to help me finalize a decision, ha!). I LOVE the look of your pool and the custom Stonescapes Tropics Blue mini pebble. Honestly I may even copy it. Or maybe just do the Touch of Glass formula with 2x added cobalt blue glass. Not sure yet. Anyway, I know this thread is old, so this post may never get seen... but IF it does, How is your finish holding up?? Would you mind posting any recent photos?

Last edited:
That looks FANTASTIC! Thanks!
If you can afford it, have your guy add a few bags of 3mm iridescent glass beads, and bump up to 35% (from 20% in my formula) the amount of the jewelscape glass bits. It will increase the smoothness of the pool surface (and improve depth of that color). I wish I had done that in the spa so the spa benchs would be a bit more comfortable when sitting in the spa for long periods. Doing so for the rest of the pool will be advisable if kids will be spending loads of time in the pool as the pebble surface texture can irritate their tender little feet. In sum, the added glass beads/pebble bits closer approximate a plaster only surface (being generally the smoothest surface texture). But it does get pricey doing this so…..

And by all means, be sure your guy shows you his other pools done in Stonescape Tropics Blue mini pebble.

Reactions: Winter247
If you can afford it, have your guy add a few bags of 3mm iridescent glass beads, and bump up to 35% (from 20% in my formula) the amount of the jewelscape glass bits. It will increase the smoothness of the pool surface (and improve depth of that color). I wish I had done that in the spa so the spa benchs would be a bit more comfortable when sitting in the spa for long periods. Doing so for the rest of the pool will be advisable if kids will be spending loads of time in the pool as the pebble surface texture can irritate their tender little feet. In sum, the added glass beads/pebble bits closer approximate a plaster only surface (being generally the smoothest surface texture). But it does get pricey doing this so…..

And by all means, be sure your guy shows you his other pools done in Stonescape Tropics Blue mini pebble.
That's great advice. We're looking at doing exactly that. I'm not sure if it'll equate to 35% or "more bags" etc, but we definitely want more than a "touch" of glass . From my understanding this contractor prefers to hand cast the glass, instead of batch mix it. I'm going to call NPT and see if I can get someone who has formula knowledge that can answer my questions. I like the idea of the 3mm glass and at this point I'm not too worried about price... the fortune has already been spent. lol

Your last point about seeing a previously done pool is the current problem we're stuck on. We outsourced social media and were able to go see a PebbleSheen and a Stonescapes Mini pebble pool from strangers, but nothing from THIS contractor yet. A week ago he said "Yes, no problem. I just have to ask the homeowners". I'll give it a few more days and press again. Blows my mind how bad most of these contractors are at marketing and customer assurance. Someone could really dominate the industry if approached it differently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.