Geminisq

May 23, 2021
LargoFL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
There are tiny ants running all over one section of the top ledge(rails?) since we opened. I can't tell if they are in the water, nor can I find the source. Can I just sprinkle some DE where I see them?

I suspect they are looking for higher ground if the ground is wet. Maybe they are climbing up from inside a wall upright support? Usually they are fairly harmless and if they fall in the water will end-up in the skimmer. Maybe try some ant granules around the perimeter of the pool base?

Reactions: Geminisq
I suspect they are looking for higher ground if the ground is wet. Maybe they are climbing up from inside a wall upright support? Usually they are fairly harmless and if they fall in the water will end-up in the skimmer. Maybe try some ant granules around the perimeter of the pool base?
Thanks! Didn't mean to sound panicked, but I don't like bugs, lol. I will try that.

Those tiny ones tend to congregate in mass quantities. De or any ant stuff should be fine. Have a look under the top rail on both sides to be sure theres nothing that has made a home over winter.

Reactions: Geminisq
Something that works really well on ants is fibrinil which is used in Fronline flea and tick dog stuff. You can get it by either buying "Taurus SC" or "Termidor SC". It's expensive and you need to buy a pressure sprayer that you don't use for anything else but that.

Since it is an actual pesticide, I wouldn't spray it without thought but if you see the ant trail and can spray it so that the ants walk through it it works great! The Terro baits are just boric acid in a sugar water so it is safer around people and pets.

We had an ants problem where ants were coming into our kitchen. I sprayed this stuff and within a week- all gone. I make it a habit in March to spray around the house. This year I prolonged the treatment until first weekend in April and we got ants again, sprayed and in 4 days no more ants.

Another more easy to aquire pesticide is bifenthrin-
Brands are - bifen it, talstar, wisdom etc. the co-op & tractor supply have it.
Also takes care of mosquitoes!

I used this stuff last year and it worked great for me. We had them in the house, yard, and around the pool. Basically just sprinkled around the perimeter and on any visible mounds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.