Another Vacation Post

akaistha

Aug 4, 2014
Coppell, TX
So like everyone else we are also planning to go out on summer vacation for 12 days and I have something that I want to do and seeking insight. We are in Dallas area so about to get to 100 degree days !!!

While it is also I’m signature:
Water Chemistry: Pool Volume 19000 gallons, pH: 7.4, FC: 2 pm. CC: 0, CYA: 50 and TA: 90

No Automatic Pool Filler: I do have a water fill pipe and plan to let it drip and replenish water. Tried this over the lat few days and I think we may lose some water to drain but better this than running the pump dry. What do you think?

Chlorine
: I am losing about 2 ppm Cl every day so was thinking to SLAM the pool to about 30 ppm. This is higher than the recommended SLAM level. Will it be okay?

Pool Cover: No as I want to monitor the pool remotely via camera and also have a single speed motor that runs for 10 hours a day.

Any other points that any one would recommend.

Thank you so much

Amit
Pool Volume 19000 gallons,
pH: 7.4, FC: 2 pm. CC: 0, CYA: 50 and TA: 90

Your current FC is too low, especially in this heat wave. Add some FC ASAP. You don’t want an algae problem right before vacation.

You should be targeting an FC of 6-8 (probably 8 in this weather) and never let FC fall below 4.

Reactions: akaistha
Right, bump up that chlorine now as you are below the minimum of 4 for your CYA.

For your vacation, I would:
- Lower the pH to 7.2
- Raise the pool to SLAM level
- Get a floating chlorine dispenser and add a few pucks in that. It will raise your CYA, but you have some wiggle room there and will help replace some of the chlorine loss.
- For your fill line, what about something like this so you can schedule it to come on: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-1-Output-Port-Digital-Hose-End-Timer/50329571

FC above SLAM levels will burn off exponentially faster than normal. Just use pucks in a floater, as advised above.

You really should consider a SWCG and variable speed pump. The VSP electrical savings will darn near pay for both items over a year, if you’re really running your single speed 10 hours a day.

My VSP and SWCG run 24/7 and electrical Is only about ~$38 a month

FC above SLAM levels will burn off exponentially faster than normal. Just use pucks in a floater, as advised above.

You really should consider a SWCG and variable speed pump. The VSP electrical savings will darn near pay for both items over a year, if you’re really running your single speed 10 hours a day.

My VSP and SWCG run 24/7 and electrical Is only about ~$38 a month
Everytime I go on a vacation and in hind sight I kick myself why I didn’t I get the SWCG :(

It's never too late :)

I concur with the above advice. Last year when I went on vacation while I was still jug lugging, I brought the pool to SLAM level and stuffed one of those UFO-looking plastic floaters with as many pucks as I could.

Overshot my CYA once I returned, but no algae and FC was still above minimums!

Do you all think adding algaecide be worth it? I will increase the chlorine level for sure.
I wouldn't worry about. Provided you don't have algae now, moving to SLAM, adding some trichlor puck... you'll be fine.
Even if you do get close to min level near your return date, that doesn't mean you'll get algae instantly.

Hey Dallas person! Your pool and mine are the same size and right now my pool is 93.6 - highest it’s been in …well ever!

We are going on vacation too , I do have a SWG so I am going to take the advice and pump it up some to cover myself. I would definitely consider a SWG. My nemesis is not the FC the but pH. Total pain in the u know what!

Reactions: .ben

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.