Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey Everyone,

After scrapping a pool project earlier this year and going all out with a covered patio instead, we're now back in the pool game. Signed contracts this past week and are hoping to start excavation sometime next week. The gunite companies around Houston have been swamped, so it all hinges on when they can get us in the schedule. I've been stalking these forums for the last few years, so I'm pretty comfortable in our final design/selections, but would love any feedback or tips!

Critical details:

Pool Size/Shape/Stuff:
- Rectangular 17x34, 105' perimeter, 576 sqft surface area
- 3.5 to 6 foot depth
- 1 channel drain and 2 skimmers
- ~6x9 sunshelf with 2 bubblers and umbrella hole
- ~7x7 spa with 6 jets and 2 round anti-vortex drains
- Raised 3-tier back wall with scuppers
- 8 foot exit bench/step bump-out on deep end
- Bench under center scupper
- PebbleTech Pebble Sheen (haven't picked a color yet)
- Travertine for coping, raised wall, and spa spillover

Equipment:
- Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge Filter
- Pentair IntelliFlo 2hp VS pump (Main)
- Pentair 1hp WhisperFlow pump (Booster)
- Silencer 1.5hp Air Blower (Spa)
- Pentair MasterTemp 400K BTU heater
- Pentair Prowler Robot Cleaner (not sure if 920 or 930)
- Pentair IntelliCenter for automation
- Pentair IC40 SWCG
- Pentair IntelliBrite color LED (2x pool, 1x spa)

Random other stuff:
- Autofill and overflow drain to street
- Spraydeck on new decking (~300 sqft) and existing covered patio (~700 sqft)
- We have 3 kids, so a safety fence around the pool will also be added separately.

1_001.jpg1_009.jpg1_010.jpg

Looks great! May want to consider a Chiller down here. When July comes and your water temp hits 92+ you’ll feel like you are in a hot tub.

Yeah, we talked about a chiller, but decided to put that money in some other add-ons instead. We’ll probably put a chiller in next summer if the water gets too warm for our comfort.

Yeah, we talked about a chiller, but decided to put that money in some other add-ons instead. We’ll probably put a chiller in next summer if the water gets too warm for our comfort.
I'd second the chiller. I had the same mindset you do and my wife convinced me, and I'm glad she did. Our pool here in Houston got up to 91 a few weeks back. The chiller got it down to low 80s overnight. I don't like the water much over 86 when it's hot out. I actually have it on now since it was creeping above 86

Builder came back the other week and said that the first available appointment for Gunite with his preferred company was way out at Sep 1st! Just heard back that he was able to get it moved up to next Friday/Saturday (6/17 or 6/18), so layout and excavation should be starting soon!!!!

To those recommending the chiller, thanks for the advice. I talked with the PB and we're not going to install it now, but he's going to extend the pad and plumb everything up so it's an easier install down the road if/when we decide to add one. Our neighbors across the street are building at the same time with the same PB and getting the chiller, so we'll see how much cooler theirs is later this season.

We added the Glacier chiller after the original build as well. It made a huge difference, as our water temps would hit the 90s by July 4 and we would not use the pool much when it got that hot. Kind of defeats the purpose. My pool temp sits at 80 right now. Another bonus: I only have to run my salt cell at 35%. Prior to the chiller, I had it up to 80% during the hottest part of the summer.

Reactions: gregr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Builder came back the other week and said that the first available appointment for Gunite with his preferred company was way out at Sep 1st! Just heard back that he was able to get it moved up to next Friday/Saturday (6/17 or 6/18), so layout and excavation should be starting soon!!!!

To those recommending the chiller, thanks for the advice. I talked with the PB and we're not going to install it now, but he's going to extend the pad and plumb everything up so it's an easier install down the road if/when we decide to add one. Our neighbors across the street are building at the same time with the same PB and getting the chiller, so we'll see how much cooler theirs is later this season.

I'm not far from you in Houston/Katy. I assume you meant 7/17 or 7/18. I am also in the process of building and I'm hearing the same thing on Gunite. Have you started digging yet or noticed any other sub delays besides gunite?

Good catch! Yes I meant 7/18 :ROFLMAO: Unfortunately I got a call from our PB last night saying the gunite is going to be another 2 weeks out, so that should put us around 8/1 now. Our PB schedules everything based on gunite so that we don’t have a hole in the ground for days/weeks on end, so I can’t answer as to any other delays with subs yet.

Reactions: justlance

Are you all getting a discount for building at the same time? We aren’t far from you either and us and our neighbor are going to do a pool at the same time. Hoping we get a discount.

Yes, we’re getting a nice little discount. Since all the trades are being coordinated, our PB is passing that savings on to us.

Hi and welcome Katy Resident. Just curious, is your neighbor going to follow the TFP method? It will be interesting if y'all have 2 different approaches to pool maintenance. Good Luck.

Hi and welcome Katy Resident. Just curious, is your neighbor going to follow the TFP method? It will be interesting if y'all have 2 different approaches to pool maintenance. Good Luck.

I think my neighbor is probably going with a pool service to manage his. He’s not doing the SWCG so I’m curious to see the difference in approaches and in equipment too!

I built my pool this year along with a large porch project. The only thing I wish I had known about were chillers. I'm up in VA and my pool is in direct sun and gets to 90-91 degrees. I think I would use a chiller more then I would use the gas heater we got installed. It is smart to at least get it plumbed and a pad set aside.

Reactions: Hobbescom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.