Sep 10, 2019
Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi, as we have started getting back in the pool, I have noticed what appears to be some calcium scale but I am almost sure is it efflorescence from the glass tile grout since that is the only place its showing up (see pics). The funny thing is that it's mostly below the water line though the surfaces of some of my glass tiles are very cloudy and I do see some above the water.

Any idea what causes this and how to clean it, especially below the water line? I know its calcium scale cuz it bubbles when I put a 20% muriatic spray on it.

Also, water is pretty balanced using LSI. Right now it is showing 0.01.

PH = 7.6
Alkalinity = 70ish
CH = 330
CYA = 35
Temp = 83F

Attachments

• 20200330_165645.jpg
    20200330_165645.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200330_165715.jpg
    20200330_165715.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 43
Lower the water and use a diluted acid solution to dissolve the efflorescence.

BTW, your CYA is 40. We round up and if the dot disappears between 40 and 30 you call it 40.

Any idea what is causing this stuff and if it will come back? I dont really want to have to do this repeatedly. Water here is pretty pricey.

Any idea what is causing this stuff and if it will come back? I dont really want to have to do this repeatedly. Water here is pretty pricey.

There is no permanent fix for it. I think it is partly a problem of the 1" tiles and so much grout lines. The grout is not perfect and there are spider cracks that let water get behind the tiles and then it comes back out as efflorescence. Seems to be a common problem on the tile walls of pools.

Was epoxy grout used?

There is no permanent fix for it. I think it is partly a problem of the 1" tiles and so much grout lines. The grout is not perfect and there are spider cracks that let water get behind the tiles and then it comes back out as efflorescence. Seems to be a common problem on the tile walls of pools.

Was epoxy grout used?
I'm not positive but know it was different than the other grout on the water line tile. Will check w PB.

Do you have a wide shot?

Is there any way that water can be getting behind the wall?

Maybe a plumbing leak in the wall or ground water buildup?
The buildup is on the pool side of the spillway wall. One is at the intersection of the back wall and the spa. The other is along the steps on the spa wall.

Attachments

• 20200401_090720.jpg
    20200401_090720.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 21
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.