Another Resin Pool Bonding Question

BrosephMI

Jun 10, 2022
West Michigan
I've lurked and searched here for about year while planning my above ground pool, yet there's a question I have that often comes up but I haven't seen completely answered.

I'm installing a Sharkline Matrix 18' above ground pool, which has all resin components besides the steel wall.

I understand the reasoning and logic behind electrical bonding, and I understand why a single bonding lug on the wall seam connected to a typical bonding ring (and must be connected to pool water and pump system) should be sufficient for bonding. And drilling holes in my pool wall for 3 additional equally spaced bonding lugs voids the warranty and creates opportunities for rust.

HOWEVER, my electrical inspector said he's bound to the Electrical Code which requires 4 equally spaced connections from the bonding ring to the pool, and wants me to drill holes for bonding lugs where the pool coving will cover.

I'm looking at the 2020 NEC code, and it says bonding at 4 points shall not be required for nonconductive pool shells, in which case a copper grid is required. Which would be very expensive.

Has anyone found language in the code that allows for a single point of connection to the pool wall on an all resin pool without a copper grid? The only solution I can think is to drill the holes as described by the inspector, and cover them with encapsulating resin to protect from corrosion.

Welcome to TFP.

Do you know which version of the NEC your jurisdiction has currently adopted and your inspector is following? You need to look at the applicable NEC version which I doubt is the 2020 version.

That said, I think you will need to do what your inspector wants to see.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP.

Do you know which version of the NEC your jurisdiction has currently adopted and your inspector is following? You need to look at the applicable NEC version which I doubt is the 2020 version.

That said, I think you will need to do what your inspector wants to see.

Hey, thanks.

You're right, they're following the 2017 version.

I know drilling into the pool wall isn't a great idea, but it's at least good to here "you gotta do what you gotta do" from an experienced member here.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.