Another question on SWG power supply

07roadking

Apr 30, 2021
Cape Coral FL
Hello,
I'm a new member and a new pool owner. The house I bought has a Pentair SuperFlo pump with a Century V165 VS motor. The SWG is Autopilot Digital Nano. The power to the V165 is on continuously and the run schedule is set at the V165 motor control panel. The power to the SWG is controlled by an Intermatic PE153P three circuit digital timer. The Intermatic powers the SWG to match the V165 schedule. (8 hour run cycle per 24 hr period) . All is well until a power outage occurs. The timer retains the original time settings but the V165 immediately restarts it's run cycle from the beginning once power is restored. So if I have the timer set to turn the SWG on at 0930 and off at 1730 and I start the V165 cycle at 0930 all is well. The other night we had a power outage at 2300 hrs for 15 min. So upon power restore the V165 immediately started at step 1 and would have run for eight hours but the SWG wouldn't turn on until 0930 the next day. So, no chlorine. It's not a problem when we're here but we are back and forth between here and up north. I have a pool service and he is great but he checks it once a week so if we're not here it could be a problem with an outage. The only thing I can come up with is set the V165 to run 24/7 and let the timer continue to turn the SWG on for eight hrs a day. I haven't messed with the pump schedule yet, the previous owner has it set at 3100 rpm for 2 hrs, 2600 for 4 hrs and 1600 for 8 hrs. My plan is to eventually install a Flow Controls FV-C 2" flow meter to dial it in. The pool is about 11K gals. Any other idea's? Thanks. Great forum.

Welcome to TFP.

Running your pump 24/7 when you are away will solve the problem.

Other folks have constructed a current sense relay system that senses when power is on to the pump and turns the power on to the SWG.

You can find a bunch of threads describing that at....

I did an rpm vs. watt analysis on this pump today. This is what I have so far. I don't have my amp probe here so did it the old fashioned way. Turn everything off except the pump and determine the time it takes for one revolution of the meter disc. The Kh on this meter is 7.2 watt hours per revolution. 3100 rpm = 26 secs/rev = 1000w. 2600 rpm = 43 secs/rev = 600 watts. 1600 rpms = 136 secs/rev = 190 watts. 1350 rpm = 180 secs/rev = 144 watts. At 1100 rpm the flow switch opens to shut off power to the cell, at 1350 it's closed. The manual says the flow switch opens at less than 20 gpm or so. So I'm thinking about 2600 rpm for 2 hours for the skimmer and 1350 rpm for 22 hours. I'll run the SWG for 8 hrs during the day, the same as it is now so chlorine generation will be the same. This schedule will cost only $12-13 per month based on the Lee County Electric tier 2 rate of 9.27 cents/kwh. If there is a power outage and we're not here the pump just restarts, there will never be a time when the SWG is powered up but the pump isn't running. Unless something happens with the pump of course. Anyone see a problem with this approach? I looked into current sensing relays, then you need a transformer for the coil also, another box, conduit, etc. This method is simple.

It doesn't look like the measurements included the SWG power? SWGs can use a couple hundred watts which can skew your results some. Assuming you are interested in minimizing costs.

That's correct, I had the SWG turned off so I'd have just the pump power. My understanding of this SWG is it uses a constant amount of power regardless of pump flow. The reason I'm doing this is so I don't have to worry about the SWG being powered up with the pump off because the SWG timer and pump timer get out of whack after a power outage. With the pump on 24/7 that won't be a problem, the SWG will always have flow and I don't have to worry about the SWG flow switch hanging up.

I understand your objective a little better now.

My understanding of this SWG is it uses a constant amount of power regardless of pump flow.
Yes this is true. However, the AutoPilot has the additional capability of allowing you to set voltages to change production rates (not just time). Also, the generation efficiency is dependent on the overvoltage of the electrolytic reaction so if you reduce the voltage, the efficiency is also reduced but I do not know by how much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.