Another question about water level when pool is closed.

ShinDiors

Jul 16, 2021
Northern VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I read a few threads and saw different answers, also different pool company gave different numbers too, so want to get some more info here. In Northern VA, so we do get freezing winters here. Company which closed for us indicated 1 inch below skimmer on their invoice (definitely feel they drained more than that), but my old PB's guy said 4 inches below skimmer, also. My tile line (lower edge) is about 4 inches below skimmer, but my returns are further down from the tile line. Last year towards to end of the winter, I drained a little bit too much that my first step (right around the tile line) was dry and when opening up I saw crazing on that plaster.

So my question is if I should keep a closer eye to make sure the water level should still cover all or most of the plaster surface (in that case, just around my tile line, about 4 inches below skimmer) instead of below the return.

Just to get this discussion going, I would be inclined to keep the water level just below the tile. When it covers the tiles there is more chance or moisture expansion within the grout or behind a tile which can cause them to come loose or pop-off. No need to lower the water down to the jets. You'll purge the lines and plug those, so they will be fine. More replies to follow I'm sure.

I have vinyl so it’s not a concern for me with freezing. If I had tile , I would be sure and keep it below the tile at least 3 or 4 inches. I would be concerned about moisture behind and around the tile when it freezes and expands .
Look at it this way, it can’t hurt to keep it below and be safe. vs having to repair tiles during the summer.
learn how to do the siphon trick with a garden hose and be safe.

The only concern i have for keeping water level below tile line a lot is the plaster crazing. Not sure if the crazing i had last season had direct correlation with the fact that my concrete was exposed and dry for a couple od weeks later in the spring last year (temperature was higher than now).

What’s The dist. From top of tile to top lip of pool? How thick does the ice get typically? Is it possible to fill it to the top and the ice thickness never reach the tile.
I honestly did not know about the ice thickness. Never was much a concern until last year that I overkilled a bit and then a dry n hot streak in the spring and found crazing on my 2 yr old plaster. I dropped the water level about 3 inches below the tile line in anticipation of another round of snow and then rain next week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.