Another Power Outage alarm with a loss in communication on a Pentair Intelliflow pump

wavaction

May 15, 2023
Cedar Knolls, NJ
I have had some brief power outages at my home and the last one caused a Power Out Failure causing the GFCI Breaker to pop.I switch the controls from Auto to service and reset the breaker and it immediately trips the breaker. I replaced the breaker and the same thing happens. I went to the pump and disconnected the power wires from the pump and the breaker doesn't trip. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I have had my pool for 7 years with no issues.

W,

With the wires off the pump, and of course not touching each other, turn on breaker and measure between the two hot wires L1 to L2.. Do not measure between L1 and ground and L2 to ground. You need to use a voltmeter and not one of those 'light' indicators..

If you get about 240 Volts AC, then your pump has most like lost its drive unit. The drive unit changes the 240 Volts AC into DC pulses that make the motor work.

If you get nothing between L1 and L2 then most likely you have lost one of the two phases (either L1 or L2). This would indicate a bad breaker..

I assume the power for the pump comes directly from a circuit breaker and it does NOT come from a timer or relay of any kind.

Thanks,

Jim R.

W,

With the wires off the pump, and of course not touching each other, turn on breaker and measure between the two hot wires L1 to L2.. Do not measure between L1 and ground and L2 to ground. You need to use a voltmeter and not one of those 'light' indicators..

If you get about 240 Volts AC, then your pump has most like lost its drive unit. The drive unit changes the 240 Volts AC into DC pulses that make the motor work.

If you get nothing between L1 and L2 then most likely you have lost one of the two phases (either L1 or L2). This would indicate a bad breaker..

I assume the power for the pump comes directly from a circuit breaker and it does NOT come from a timer or relay of any kind.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the info Jim! It's reading about 185 Volts AC.

W,

Seems pretty low to me. Check each hot lead to ground and see what you get..

Also, you can check across the main input to your breaker panel and confirm you have 240 volts, and then measure the output from the breaker (going to the pump) and see if you only have 185 between L1 and L2. If you have 240 in and only 185 out then the breaker is bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

W,

Seems pretty low to me. Check each hot lead to ground and see what you get..

Also, you can check across the main input to your breaker panel and confirm you have 240 volts, and then measure the output from the breaker (going to the pump) and see if you only have 185 between L1 and L2. If you have 240 in and only 185 out then the breaker is bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Good Morning Jim! I have a brand new breaker in and it's reading 185 volts. I put the old one back in and it's reading 185 volts as well.

W,

Well, there are only two options..

1. You really only have 185 volts.
2. You have a testing error of some type.

Did you measure across the two hot outputs of the breaker?

What is in-between the breaker and your pump? Just wire? Do the wires go underground?

If your house main panel AC input was only 185 volts, then you'd think that everything that was 220 in your house would be having an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.