Another pool store testing rant

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
Long story, but I wanted a phosphate reading, so I took a water sample to the store for testing. I was dreading the pool store hype, arguments and hard-sells, so the TFP expert who has been guiding me suggested that I avoid the debates by simply saying, "my pool guy said to..." Whew - good strategy.

The tests went "swimmingly." She even said, "whatever you're doing, keep doing it. Your water is perfect".

:party: All that stress for nothing! Woot! Pool $tores aren't so bad after all! I even started to feel bad about bashing their testing, so i bought my own phoshate test kit to support their business.

My elation didn't last long. I looked at the printout, and over the next week compared it to my own testing.

Store: (sample taken 1.5 hours before testing and kept at 70º)

FC 3
CC .2
CH 200
CYA 40
TA 100
pH 7.6
Phos 75

FC was actually, without a doubt, 6
CH, with my near-empty reagents as well as my refills is over 300
CYA is 30, not 40. It's not even 40 with artificial light.
TA is 90. Over, and over and over again, it's 90.
I tested phosphates in the evening, when I should've been in daylight. It showed 300-500. It was actually probably double that, as my fill water is high.

I'll also note that we chatted while she was testing. She didn't count drops. She squirted CH reagents into the vile. It struck me as strange at the time, but looking back, wow. That explains why their CH values have contradicted their own tests, not to mention mine.

Folks, (new folks, specifically) it's hard to discount the data we get from "the pros", but they're simply not in the business of testing. They're there to sell.

dbtgallery.php

From another thread trying to convince a newbie to convince themselves... he's doing much better now!

This is a perfect example as to why we don't rely on pool store testing.

These results when compared to your previous from just 2 days ago show a drop in CYA, yet an increase in salt which I seriously doubt could have happened unless you partially drained your pool, refilled and added salt. Which I'm guessing it's safe to say you didn't do.

Hello Winnie the pool, You are right I did not drain and replace the water nor add any salt. All I have done was add two jugs on liquid chlorine and circulate the pool water.
Thanks for your response
Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.