Another newbie with test questions

KLJ

May 4, 2017
OH
Pool water is starting to look pretty good although not crystal clear considering we had a rough start with the build.
Our results on testing

FC .2
CC 0
Ph 7.4
Alk 120
Calc 170
CyA 0

Last evening we put in 1 1/4 bottles of Pool Chlorine. 12.5% (96 oz bottles) My husband has added one bag of shock and a couple of pucks over the last week ( I know... not a good idea! but he is getting a little frustrated and i figured if it increased our cya that would be fine.) So maybe over the last week 2-3 total and 2 bags of shock) I'm owning up here! I have a one pound bottle of the pool conditioner, but it looks like i need to add a lot more! I know nothing about borates, We can't seem to get any kind of reading for the cya. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Forget about borates until you are bored with everything else being easy.

What are you testing the water with?

Get some more FC in the water and add CYA to at least get up to 30ppm ... then do you need to follow the SLAM Process process if the water is not clear? Try and OCLT.

If all good, then raise the CYA up to 70ppm or so and dial in the SWG .... keep the FC in range with beach until the SWG takes over.

A tip: Way down low on poolmath there is Effects of Adding Chemicals. Input your pool volume up top, then go down and see what the various powders and pucks have added. That will get you a ballpark CYA reading so you can use that as your Now number when you add CYA.

Start low. Target 30. If you overshot a little, you'll still be good.

Directions on conditioner say to sprinkle in the skimmer... I only had a small container of it and will need to get more. but I'm not understanding the sock thing! how do you get the powder in the sock without inhaling all that toxic stuff?

What toxic stuff? Just pour the granules in a white sock then hang it in front of your return jet, or put it in the skimmer. Do not let it rest on the side of the pool though.

The bottle of stabilizer has all sorts of warnings on the bottle! ha! just makes me a little leary if it puffs up into the air as Im pouring it!
Any way, my husband took the water to be tested at the pool store to confirm our testing since we are so new at it.

The results are
fc 2.45
cc 1.14
ph 7.9
alk 123
CH 132
CYA 11

The pool store told my husband to throw in a couple of pucks that would raise the chlorine and the cya. He also said that the liquid chlorine was really just for shocking the pool! So I told my husband to hold off and let me post to you guys! So... we put in one small container of conditioner last night ( about 28 oz) and another 128 oz of 12.5 liquid pool bleach. and these were this mornings results.

any thoughts? Are we heading in the right direction?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.