Another newbie question

TLyons

Nov 26, 2018
Southeast Georgia
Today, pool builder rep met me to review operation of pool. Interestingly, I was told our 3 year warranty on equipment will be void if we FAIL to use 'Renewal' every other week. We are also required to have our water tested at pool store every 3 months. I didn't make an issue with the rep because this is not his policy and, besides, he was unable to answer other basic questions for me, including, "what the heck is in Renewal"?

Anyone encountered this sales tactic before? We are obligated to purchase it but they can't prove we are using it in our pool. Will continue to add my chemicals separately, based on my testing results.

Anyone use this produce or know anything about it?

T,

Your 3 year equipment warranty is from Hayward, not your pool builder.. The first thing I would do is contact Hayward and report the pool builder.. I'm not a Hayward guy, but I really doubt that this "Renewal" is a Hayward requirement. I believe that Renewal is a mineral additive that TFP is very much against...

It sounds like a scam to me...

Please let us know what you find out..

Thanks,

Jim R.

That's a good idea. I would like to maintain a good working relationship with this builder but I feel the need to raise the 'bs' flag on this mandate. I will check with Hayward and then have a frank discussion with pb. Was just reading older posts on TFP re this product and not surprised to find it is another money maker for pb and product manufacturer. Takes advantage of people who want a one-step process. I would rather manage my pool chemistry with single chemicals as needed.
Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jim,
I see you live in Bedford. In 1994 I was recruited out of the Air Force to start an ECMO program at Cook Children's Hospital (heart-lung bypass for critically sick babies). Have many fond memories of that part of the country. Met my husband there also. No place like TX!

T,

Cook Children's Hospital is one of the finest in the Nation!!!

Were you stationed at Carswell AFB? That is where I retired, back in the stone age.. :p

I had no idea they were doing that type of surgery in 1994... I assume it is some type of temporary surgery until the infant is old enough or well enough to survive on its own??? Is it an actual surgery or is it a way to temporarily oxygenate the blood??

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was stationed at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. But my husband was stationed at Carswell during that time (stone age). ECMO required a surgical procedure to insert the catheters but the procedure was removing de-oxygenated blood from baby, draining into a closed system where it was oxygenated, pumped, heated, filtered, heparinized, and then returned to baby. ECMO runs were usually about a week in length. Allowed baby's own body (heart/lung) to heal and recover. That's what I did in the Air Force and then started Cook's program. One of my proudest accomplishments in my career. Still connect with those Cook-Children's staff on a regular basis. Teddy Bear Air is one of the finest neonatal/pediatric transport teams in the country. Miss Texas. No other place on other can compare. Awesome people with great work ethics!

I ran into a similar situation when shopping for a hot tub last year. At one store, one of the selling points was that the store itself would extend the warranty of the tub for an additional 2 years upon the expiration of the manufacturer's original warranty....no extra charge.
Ok, sounded interesting.

Upon reading the fine print, the warranty was only extended if you signed on to a program where you provide them a monthly water sample, and followed their instructions (read: bought their stuff) starting the month the tub was first purchased. Your testing and purchase history is logged on their computers, so they know if you complied.
You could, of course, decline the 'extended warranty', but the tactic so infuriated me, I said something to the effect of "you've got to be kidding", and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Double check that the PB is talking about the original manufacturer's warranty, and not something hes adding on to it. I personally have not heard of ANY manufacturer demanding the regular use of a specific product brand or the warranty becomes invalid. Doesnt sound right. It would seem a simple call to Hayward would verify one way or the other.

?????? Please enlighten me....

I think Dave is referring to the internet scam letters that often come from a Nigerian Princess who would be willing to ship you all her gold, if you would just send her the shipping fee.. :p

I believe it was Dave's way of saying your pool builder is trying to scam you with claims of having to use "renewal" to maintain your equipment warranty..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunatly, valuing the relationship seems pretty one sided in this case.
He appears to be lying and trying to scam you...which would seem to say alot about how much the PB values the relationship with you, his customer.

No tip toeing necessary. It's YOUR MONEY and not cheap either. If the guy gets "offended" feel free to show him the door. I'm too old to be politically correct, but
I would have already sent him packing. The way I see it, he is #1 DISHONEST or #2 Too Stupid to work for me. I have no room in my life for these types of people.

Here is Haywards warranty policy. https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/terms-conditions-sale

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.