Another Newbie! First Pool and First Full Test

I think I've got controlling the pH under control, and I put in a whopping 3.5 OUNCES last night to get me down to 7.5 in this afternoon's test. :-D I feel pretty confident in saying I think I have the bleach and pH areas under control as far as basic treatment -- the Pool Calc has been dead-on every time (of course).

My TA is 130, CH is 210, and CYA 55-60 (and I'm totally off trichlor). I understand that I should probably target 120 for my TA and 260 for my CH (so says Pool Calc). As this is a brand new pool and still curing/"seasoning," what should I work on next?

Thanks!
Maury

After an apparent False Algae Alarm, my FC is still running high -- but it dropped form 25 to 22, so it's coming down. :D

I assume it's best to just let it drop naturally as opposed to using ChemOut to drop it, correct? I also assume that it's okay for me to continue treating/maintaining my pH with such a high FC in the pool, right?

RAILhead said:
After an apparent False Algae Alarm, my FC is still running high -- but it dropped form 25 to 22, so it's coming down. :D
FAA...I like that :)

RAILhead said:
I assume it's best to just let it drop naturally as opposed to using ChemOut to drop it, correct?
Let it drop on it's own.

RAILhead said:
I also assume that it's okay for me to continue treating/maintaining my pH with such a high FC in the pool, right?
Unless you know what your ph was before the FAA and subsequant dosing, you need to wait until your FC drops below 10 ppm to get an accurate ph reading.

Still trucking along! It appears my CYA is dropping naturally somehow...massive rain, lots of use...it's down to 50 from 60. I guess I won't look a gift horse in the mouth! :)

FC: 6.5
CC: less than .5
pH: 7.6
TA: 110
CH: 210
CYA: 50

The TA keeps dropping. It has been floating at 130, but it's dropped to 110, then I push it to 120, then it drops to 110 after a couple of days. What do y'all think of that? Pool Calc says 70-90+, so should I be happy with 110 and see if it normalizes there?

Things are still cranking along, getting into a routine!

I add enough bleach to raise FC 1-2ppm every day, and my pH goes from 7.6 to 7.8 every 2 days. Is this normal for pH? How on earth are people who only check pH once a week able to keep things in check -- or is my constant pH rise due in part to the new pool curing out?

RAILhead said:

I add enough bleach to raise FC 1-2ppm every day, and my pH goes from 7.6 to 7.8 every 2 days. Is this normal for pH? How on earth are people who only check pH once a week able to keep things in check -- or is my constant pH rise due in part to the new pool curing out?

Is your return pointed up so that the water is breaking the surface? There are plenty of other possibilities, but aeration is really easy to fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RAILhead said:

Fresh plaster raises the PH levels rapidly for the first three or four weeks, and then more slowly for up to a year. So your every other day MA addition seems normal. As ski mentioned, if you can reduce aeration factors, that would help.

Everything still seems to be going well, and we've loving the pool! Today's numbers are:

FC: 6
CC: -
pH: 7.7
TA: 110
CH: 260
CYA: 40

I used the pool calc to get my CH up to the target area, and the CYA has just been dropping on its own over the last few months. All seems well!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.