Another Idea for Skimmer Leaf Guards

Jul 31, 2009
Texas
This time of year, like a lot of us, I spend a ridiculous amount of time with pool maintenance. As you can see, my pool is surrounded by oak trees. During the months of March and April, the pool is covered in leaves and seeds. Originally, I built some butt-ugly leaf guards for the pool using pvc pipe and black hardware cloth. They rested on the pool decking and extended down over the edge to block the skimmer. They were big and cumbersome and storing them was a pain. This year, I spent some time on TFP and looked at a few other ideas, milk crates and hardware cloth, more pvc, etc. This is what I came up with. It's a steam insert for hotel pans, sold my restaurant supply stores. Mine were ordered from Amazon. They're made from stainless steel and they're cheap. A couple of eyebolts, fender washers and a bungee cord and its done. I used pool noodles that I split down the center and attached around the edges of the pan to protect the pool surface. They formed a friction fit secure enough that no adhesive was needed. The bungee is extended into the skimmer and hooks into a small hole I drilled above the water line. Works like a charm. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same issue.

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonarob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.