Ltathe01

Jul 20, 2022
Louisville, Ky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had an above ground pool installed about two days ago. When the installers were digging into the hill, they informed me that if I backfill with dirt over 18” that I would void the warranty. The pool goes into the hill about 4ft. My question. Is can I still backfill with dirt once it’s full and not risk collapse (until I have to replace liner) or am I going to have to dig everything out for a retaining wall? I wasn’t planning on a retaining wall, and was completely unaware I couldn’t just backfill with dirt. The photo I have is too high resolution. Is there a way to upload one?

You'll probably want a retaining wall of some sort. Any dirt, sand, plants, etc. touching the AGP will cause longevity issues. 4 feet of dirt backfill would almost certainly be a risk for collapse as well.

Reactions: newdude
You'll probably want a retaining wall of some sort. Any dirt, sand, plants, etc. touching the AGP will cause longevity issues. 4 feet of dirt backfill would almost certainly be a risk for collapse as well.
I’m basically only worried about caving. I was going to try and get the backfill of it closer to 24” instead of 4’. The pool warranties their product for 18” of backfill, so to me it’s mainly can the water pressure push out to hold 24”-36” of dirt?

to me it’s mainly can the water pressure push out to hold 24”-36” of dirt?
To me its mainly can it do it with nothing to brace the other side. I think that's going to be your biggest hurdle. If the pool was entirely sunk at least the forces would be even. I believe they would still be too much with the pool not designed for that, but you'd have a better chance of being lucky.

The short answer is you said it yourself, they warrantied only till 18". To me it's simple as they figure from the bottom to 18 inches there's enough strength to hold back but as you get to the mid section it's too flimsy so why even go that route.

Reactions: Decoy205
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.