Powboski

Apr 30, 2020
Roanoke, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone. First time poster here. My wife and I bought a home with an inground pool over a decade ago. While I do open (early April) and maintain the pool myself, every October I tend to make excuses on why the pool company is best suited to close our pool. Life these days is just too dang expensive to continue making those excuses! I've ordered a Cyclone blower to help, and I'm pretty sure my pool plumbing is rather basic compared to many on this forum. I have one skimmer (with one hole in the bottom), 2 return lines, and a main drain in the 8' deep end. My pool pipes are 1.5". I have a mesh cover and we get plenty rain/snow/ice during the winter, so my plan is to lower the water just below the return lines (after balancing and slamming).

Question #1 - does this pool plumbing generally go well with blowing out my pool lines from the skimmer (with filter set to recirculate)? My current thought is to just purchase a short hose and adapter for the Cyclone, connect the hose to the single skimmer hole (or just have my wife hold the hose to the hole), and use the valve in front of my pump to direct the air flow.

Question #2 - when I have the main drain valve closed to off, and when the cyclone is blowing into my skimmer with filter set to recirculate, the air will first blow water out the return lines, correct? Once those are blown out and plugged, then I could transition to blow out the main drain and airlock, correct? Last step would be to pour some antifreeze into the skimmer and the screw my gizmo into the skimmer hole.

I'd sincerely appreciate any guidance and/or nuggets of wisdom from the experts here. I've attached some pictures of my pool plumbing for reference. The pump is about 5-yrs old, but the sand filter and gas heater are all original, although still chugging along (knock on wood). Please note that the salt system has been out of commission for several years now. I should have probably invested in a new one by now, but keep putting it off and using liquid chlorine.
Thank you!!1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Powboski :wave: Welcome to Trouble Free Pool Forums.
While I've never closed my pool, being in the south, I know someone who lives up north and has experience! @Newdude
Also, have you read this from our Pool School articles?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Powboski
does this pool plumbing generally go well with blowing out my pool lines from the skimmer (with filter set to recirculate)? My current thought is to just purchase a short hose and adapter for the Cyclone, connect the hose to the single skimmer hole (or just have my wife hold the hose to the hole), and use the valve in front of my pump to direct the air flow.
Perfect !!! A short vac type hose into the skimmer will work great.
when I have the main drain valve closed to off, and when the cyclone is blowing into my skimmer with filter set to recirculate, the air will first blow water out the return lines, correct? Once those are blown out and plugged, then I could transition to blow out the main drain and airlock, correct? Last step would be to pour some antifreeze into the skimmer and the screw my gizmo into the skimmer hole.
200w (4).gif

Close the main drain and blow in recurculate mode to clear the returns. Cap them and open the drain line until bubbles flow there. Then close the drain valve to air lock it under pressure. Add antifreeze to the skimmer line (s), and gizzmo them. Then drain all the equipment.

Reactions: Powboski
Close the main drain and blow in recurculate mode to clear the returns. Cap them and open the drain line until bubbles flow there. Then close the drain valve to air lock it under pressure. Add antifreeze to the skimmer line (s), and gizzmo them. Then drain all the equipment.
Is this your specialty? Closing pools?? Great advice given on multiple threads!

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.