Another first test...

paul.p

Jan 6, 2023
Vancouver Canada
Hello everyone, first and foremost thanks for making this awesome resource. It has been immensely helpful!!
Long story short, Im from Vancouver Canada. Bought my first home in the area we had liked... it ended up having a pool which is not something I ever anticipated owning... Nonetheless, we got possession very recently, and since then I have been doing much research on how to manage a pool.

The first thing I did was order a TF Test pro kit w/ smart stir and pH tester ( https://tftestkits.net/TF-Pro-with-SmartStir-p118.html ) ... and threw out the pack of test strips in the pool shed... The pool was historically been managed by a pool company and I was a bit worried about what the results maybe. However, was pleasantly surprised of the results as they weren't too out of whack.

I do have some pool stabilizers in the shed as well as some pH Increaser.... Im not exactly clear how old these chemicals are. I also recently bought some chlorine tablets. I am wondering if its worth just adding chlorine tablets and passively increase the CYA overtime. We also get a lot of rain so im not sure how viable this strategy maybe. Overall the pool looks to be in excellent condition. The water looks clear and relatively clean!

My question is, is it worth using them or getting new ones? I can provide pictures later this week if that helps. Thanks again in advance.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-05 at 22.34.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-05 at 22.34.22.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 23
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-05 at 22.34.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-05 at 22.34.22.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 24
Hey Texas,

Funny you mention that, this is an outdoor pool.

I received possession of the house during a major cold snap here. I get the keys to the home I go outside to the pool and there is about a 4-in thick layer of ice on it. Luckily however the pump runs 24/7 therefore the pipes were ok. The skimmer return jets are all functioning well. The ice is no longer. No obvious damage.

Luckily however the pump runs 24/7 therefore the pipes were ok. The skimmer return jets are all functioning well. The ice is no longer. No obvious damage.
Funny *you* should mention this. There was a fellow ultra northerner a few months back that also didn't close. I guess it's more of a thing up there than I thought.

Welcome to TFP :)

Have a gander Pool Care Basics

Welcome Paul. Funny you mention.
I never wanted a pool but wife convinced me move and buy a house with a pool. Few years on we moved again and built a pool because that was the only failing on the new house's wish list.

Ask me if I thought I would ever be hanging out on a pool forum for enjoyment......nope no way. Ask me would I get pleasure out in the morning light skimming yesterdays wind on the top of the pool....huh. I guess some have cars, boats, or other hobbies. I have a pool that I and the family love. Funny you mention as I never......

Good on you for jumping in. Maintaining the pool isn't all that hard, and this mob are always more than ready to help out if it gets away on you.

Reactions: Newdude
When I first realized I was getting a pool I was initially excited but as the closing date for the home got closer it got more and more intimidating... TFP has really helped me relax!! I could easily have contracted it out today company however I simply cannot afford the fees at this time.

On another note, in terms of raising the alkalinity, do you recommend adding any baking soda at this time?

Furthermore, I suspect the cuisable because we've had a lot of rain the last couple of days. To further complicate the matter, the pool was overfilled due to the rain and I ended up draining too much water out and had to add a bit more water back in. Maybe 1000-2000gallons at best. I picked up a few chlorine 3" pucks that were on sale. I am tempted to just add them into the skimmer for now to raise the FC and CYA.

Please let me know what you guys think

I could easily have contracted it out today company however I simply cannot afford the fees at this time.
Even if you could afford it right now, our way is cheap, easy, and effective. It's hard to beat. Some kid that shows up for 12 minutes a week sure won't.
in terms of raising the alkalinity, do you recommend adding any baking soda at this time?
Sure. Don't forget to brush after.
I suspect the cuisable because we've had a lot of rain the last couple of days.
I think autocorrect got you here. :ROFLMAO:
Maybe 1000-2000gallons at best.
Not as big of a deal as everyone thinks at first. The same goes with the rain.
I am tempted to just add them into the skimmer for now to raise the FC and CYA.
You can. But know that you can't read between the 10s on the logarithmic CYA scale. So we round up and your 25 is a 30. A 31-39 is a 40 (etc). Your 30 is likely fine for winter. UV / daily FC loss is next to nothing right now. But a couple tabs won't hurt either now that you have them.

Back to the CYA, only fill to the 10s and save yourself alot of the guessing. It's way easier to know it's not a 30 or a 50 so it has to be a 40.

Don’t forget to take into account the effects the tabs will have on your ph/ta as they are acidic.
Here’s how each dissolved tab effects your water -
👇
911EE11E-72F9-4B75-9018-766572CA60F2.png
Courtesy of PoolMath
Effects of adding (in the hamburger menu)

Thanks for all your messages and super helpful advice!!

I guess decreasing my pH is probably not the worst idea at the moment lol.

As for the salt in the pool, I'm not exactly sure how much salt is actually in it... Any ideas for how to test for this?

I just found a huge 60 lb bag of baking soda in the pool shed as well. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add some in the next couple of weeks I suspect!

You can test the salt level with the Taylor k-1766 kit but it’s mostly irrelevant unless you’re using a salt water chlorine generator & need to target a specific salt level.
All forms of manually added chlorine add salt to the water as well as muriatic acid & calcium chloride additions & of course the sweaty people using the pool 😁

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again for everyone's help.
It rained so much here we have to waste water all the time! When I first got possession of the pool the water was almost already above the skimmer.

drained about 2" off it and it's already back 1" in just 3 weeks

Paul
I don't think you plan on swimming till the weather gets warm therfore I think it would make sense for you to have the pool winterized asap as there's lots more of winter and the chances are too great for massive damage and you could be in for major $$$ in repairs should something happen. Don't chance it and guarantee yourself a pleasant summer. While the pool is winterized you'll have all the time to read and ask questions to be well prepared for your first season. Just my take on things like this.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Paul
I don't think you plan on swimming till the weather gets warm therfore I think it would make sense for you to have the pool winterized asap as there's lots more of winter and the chances are too great for massive damage and you could be in for major $$$ in repairs should something happen. Don't chance it and guarantee yourself a pleasant summer. While the pool is winterized you'll have all the time to read and ask questions to be well prepared for your first season. Just my take on things like this.
Hey wire

That's a great question. Our winters here in BC (lower mainland land) are really mild and more in line with weather from Seattle. To be honest it's kinda rare to have any days cooler than 32 degrees. I've spoken to a few pool people around here and I don't think many winterize at all... our average winter temperatures there are 45 degrees. Would be interesting to know what others do as well.

Thanks
Paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.