Another clueless first time pool owner...

Jul 21, 2019
NYC Area
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Please help - if you need more info please let me know (sob story will be at end of the post)

In ground vinyl liner
Sand Filter
14500 gallons currently 84 degrees
Free chlorine 12
Combined chlorine 0
Ph 7.0
Total Alk 35
Cal Hardness 20
Cyn Acid 90
(Used Taylor Test Kit)

Water is clear - but it’s deffinitley irritating swimmers

Insert Sob Story

Well I’ve been enthused about having a pool my whole life, my wife and I are so excited to have bought a house with a beautiful pool. The previous owner had a “pool guy” but all he does is put chlorine tabs in, vacuum, and back wash. I plan on cutting the chord with him once I buy my own vacuum. When I told him I was concerned by my water test results he said I’m “over thinking it” and “the waters clear”.

Thanks for your suggestions....

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Since you are using a Taylor kit, I suspect those test results are accurate. If so, we know the CYA is high, but you are compensating well by keeping the FC high. That's good for now until such time you can lower it. :goodjob: But when the FC is over 10, we expect the pH to be high as well. In your case, the pH is on the low end and the TA is already very low.

My recommendation ..... increase the TA to about 60-70 (baking soda). That should also allow the pH to rise a bit. If not, aerate a bit. Let the pH hoover in the 7.5-7.6 range and see how those two numbers work together for a few days. It may also help with the irritation you spoke of.

Note that you can’t test pH when FC is above 10. You may want to (carefully!) let your FC drop to around 10, retest pH, then immediately bring it back up.

Testing for pH is difficult with CYA as high as yours is due to the FC levels needed to keep it sanitary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.