Another chlorine question

Jun 24, 2008
MOBILE, AL
So my motor on my pump went out about two weeks ago and it took a week for a new one to arrive. While waiting I tried to keep the water clear by adding bleach daily but in the end, it turned a little cloudy. After installing the new motor, I can’t keep chlorine in it. It’s super clear but still eating my chlorine up. I turned off my swg and added bleach to bring it up to 18ppm yesterday around noon. Today I get home at 4:00 pm and the FC is 3.5. Wow!!! I went ahead and performed a full test.
FC- 3.5
CC- 0
PH- 8.0
TA- 100
CYA- 40

I assume I need to Slam it!! How often do I need to add bleach while slamming? I work 10 hours a day so I can’t add it during the day.

Now the other issue! I leave on Thursday for a trip until Sunday. What’s the chances I can have this under control before then?

Thanks in advance for your help

A SLAM is in order.

Get your FC to SLAM level as much as possible. Early morning, right after you get home, again after dinner and then before bed. If anyone can add some LC during the day it will help.

You might get it under control by Thursday if you start now.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Ok, I just raised it to a shock level of 16. I will get up in the morning and check it to add bleach to get back to 16 before I go to work. Would it be ok if i get my neighbor to come over at noon to add a jug of bleach which is 128 ounces? That would get it back up closer to the shock level until I get home and check it.

So I checked the fc this morning and it had only dropped to about 15 from 16 last night. I guess the last couple days of me shocking started the slam without me even knowing I needed too. Should I still get my neighbor to come over and give it a dose of bleach while I am at work? Maybe instead of a whole bottle, only put in half?

I would do the whole thing. Give it a good brushing when you get home, keep it at shock level until dark and verify that you ahve passed Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight.

If all three of these are passed ti's time to enjoy the pool

CC is 0.5 or lower;

You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);

The water is clear. (including no visible algae)

So my FC dropped from 16 to 15 over night. I added more to bring it to about 16 this morning at 6am. My neighbor added 128 oz at noon. At 4:30 it tested at 8.5 so I added more to bring it to 16. That seems like a lot of loss in a day given my neighbor added some and I only lost around 1 last night. Is this normal?

FC loss during the daylight hours is greater when near SLAM level FC. So normal, sure. Hopefully you are also attacking algae. It is not a linear process. Algae can defend itself from the chlorine with a bio-film. Then, that bio-film disappears, and the chlorine is used killing the algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.