another booster pump replacement

Mar 21, 2011
Grosse Tete LA
After owning our pool for 10 years, I've had to replace both the pump motors, 2 years ago I replaced the booster pump with the same unit, Polaris BP4-60. It started making a grinding noise right after the 1 year mark, made it through a start capacitor change before quitting altogether a few weeks ago. I have read about robotic cleaners, but last year I bought a Kreepy Krawly to replace the polaris 280 I had all this time. I don't know how many parts wheels and rebuild kits I put into that, but was done with it.

So getting to the point, I'm not having a good feeling about replacement AO Smith PB6 motors available as a replacement motor. And not having a good feeling about yet another PB4-60 complete unit. Started looking at Hayward 6060 as an alternative. I will probably go robotic after some years with the Kreepy Krawly. I would love to get a good replacement motor if anyone knows of one for the PB4-60 if not is the Hayward booster pump a better option?

All the booster pumps are basically the same - Polaris, Pentair, Hayward. Pick one and take your chances if you stick with a pressure side cleaner.

Reactions: paulbot
Why not do it now? The sooner the better as it will pay for itself in fairly short time.
You know I think you're right. I'd be dropping another 350 in a new pump. Kinda sick of messing with pump motors at 64 years of age. I'm looking at the low end robotics like the Dolphin Proteus DX3. Any others I should look at in the low end?

edit- After further research here, it seems the Dolphin S200 is the hands down favorite for low end robotics. I've emailed Marina Pools, another favorite here about buying one.

Last edited:
Reactions: mas985
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.