Ancient filter ready for retirement

I acquired a Pentair filter with my house that may have been original to the pool build in the 80s. It is a DE filter that is starting to leak. I'm thinking of changing to sand filter. Is there anything I need to be aware of that might affect that decision? Ideally, I'd like something easier to maintain than the DE filter with 8 grids, I don't know anything about those new fangled ones.

I noticed recommendations of Triton 2 on here. Based on the size of my pool, it seems like I need the TR100 and that, you need to purchase a side valve as well. Are they fairly easy to swap out?

I thought while we were changing things, we might go ahead and convert to salt water - Is there a recommendation for this - is it easier to maintain that chlorine or about the same? How hard are they to install?

Thanks

As a Californian, you will be better served by a cartridge filter, which does not waste water backwashing or send chemical-laden water where it might not belong.

Where I live, I believe the messy-medium water-wasting filters are no longer allowed - only cartridge filters. Better check your local ordinances. They may have changed since your pool was installed.

You might be better off with a cartridge filter than a sand filter. They are easy to clean. Just remove the clamp in the middle and pull out the 4 filters and hose them off. With a sand filter you will be adding a lot more water to your pool because of the backwashing. Sand filters are more common back east where they get a lot of rain. Cartridge filters will filter the water to a much finer level than sand filters. Also, if you have to perform a SLAM for whatever reason, sand filters have been known to take a lot longer to get your water back to crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.