Amp draw on 3hp Pentair Intelliflo at various RPMs

Poolnewb105

Apr 6, 2019
Ny
Hey guys, I was hoping somebody would be able to tell me what the amp draw is on a 3hp Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump at 2000, 2400, 2600 and 2800 rpms. I know the power draw is based off of the plumbing but I'll take the more conservative figures.

My electrician is trying to determine how much power I will need from thr circuit the pump is on but without the pool being open for the season just yet, we're unable to tell.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

I can't really help much, but the IntelliFlo uses a 20 amp breaker.. Unless there is some weird issue you are trying to work around, I would power it with a 20 amp feed.. I'm sure I just don't understand what your electrician is trying to do... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I can't really help much, but the IntelliFlo uses a 20 amp breaker.. Unless there is some weird issue you are trying to work around, I would power it with a 20 amp feed.. I'm sure I just don't understand what your electrician is trying to do... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Trying to figure out what the continuous load is from this pump at the aforementioned rpms. We need to upgrade the wire size going to thr sub Pannel and are trying to determine if #4 wire would be adequate.

I know the max draw for this pump is 16A but I'm thinking with my pool at the rpms mentioned it must draw no more than 8A. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
3 hp is 2247 watts
2247/220 is 10.2 amps
Add 20% for inefficiency 12 amps (probably not needed)
20 amp breaker with only the pump on it, 30 amp if your going to run something else with it.
Wire size also needs a footage number, there are charts

You only size the wire for max load, if your electrician really couldn't figure this out I don't think it's a good idea using him.

Reactions: splashpad
Actually I would be a bit concerned about an electrician asking this question. Is this an actual certified electrician or a friend?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.