Amount of sand when using Polystyrene Foam Board

Jun 21, 2011
Parkersburg, WV
Hi all, I tried searching and reading through prior discussions on the topic but it seemed like most posts were of the either/or variety.

I am in the process of installing a new 15x30x54" AGP. I plan to use foam board from Lowes, 3/4" thick and a foam cove. I was wondering how much sand to use underneath the foam board? I assume I will need some (the directions call for backfilling the uprights, for one). Per the Pool Factory, with a foam cove and normal sand base, I would need 2.5/3.5 yards/tons of sand. Any ideas on how much less sand I should/could use when going with the foam board floor?

Appreciate any replies!

Pool is also going to be semi-inground, approx 27" down, though that shouldn't make much difference.

Thanks,
Jeremy

The foam board takes the place of the sand that's why it's and either or kind of topic. With an oval pool you may want a small amount of sand to cover any strapping or pressure plates that are in the middle of the pool and a thin layer of sand can smooth out any surface imperfections in your base.

I would think a yard or two would be plenty for that. My pool which is the same size as yours took 4 yards of sand to do the entire base and coving.

Thanks - wanted to confirm that was the case. I actually put a foam bottom in the old pool that was in the same spot but it was an afterthought and I'd already laid down fresh sand. It was several years ago so I don't even recall how much I used but I probably just lost a bit of depth. I was thinking I may be able to salvage much of that sand for the purpose of covering the straps/base plates.

Appreciate the response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.