Conyers, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
My Intex SWG took the "low salt light" dive last year. I normally replace it every 2-3 years but tried to fix it last year by bypassing the low salt light . It didnt really work...I think. The plates got really gross which is unusual for me...I normally dont have any plate issues. Fast forward to frickin 2021 and the price of an intex swg has gone from $150 to $600-$800. I was thinking of using chlorine but, well, you know.

I dont have an intex pool btw..I have a regular 12,500 gal above ground. I had gotten my pool from swamp status to "flock it" state when I had to replace my sand filter. Now it's back to being a place for frogs to make more frogs :/.

I took plates from old swg, cleaned them and put in current swg. Am I going to have to spend $100 on salt to find out if swg works? The display is blank since we bypassed the LS light.

Side note, my FC is probably zero. My ph is very high (hot pink), alk is 60 (after 12 lbs of baking soda), I stopped adding CYA when filter went out...its still low.

First thing I'd recommend is updating your signature so we know what pool equipment you are working with, and what test kit you are using. You can use my signature below as an example.

I was thinking of using chlorine but, well, you know.
It might be different in GA but when I was at the pool store last week they had plenty of liquid chlorine. Have you looked for liquid chlorine or bleach at pool stores, walmart, home depot, etc? If you pool is green you are going to need a lot of liquid chlorine to SLAM anyway.

I took plates from old swg, cleaned them and put in current swg. Am I going to have to spend $100 on salt to find out if swg works? The display is blank since we bypassed the LS light.
Short answer is yes. $100 seems like a lot though, you shouldn't need more than 15 bags (probably a lot less). At my home depot 1 bag is less than $5. What are you using to test the salt in your pool? You should test it separately than using the SWCG.

If your pool is green you need to SLAM. I would do that before you mess with anything else.

Reactions: RhondaF
I haven't done an extensive search but our Lowes, Ace Hardware and walmart are all out of chlorine. I've been using shock (calcium hypo). It worked beautifully before my sand filter cracked.

I have the Taylor Complete (FAS-DPD chlorine) K-2006 kit but my reagents may be old (2-3 yeats?) because the SWG has made pool life so easy that I doubt I tested anything last year.

I will update my info but it probably hasn't changed other than replacing everything....at least twice.🥴

I'm going to check Lowes now because the local place is charging $10/bag for salt. I tested and was surprised I had even 1000 rpm ((Taylor Sodium chloride test kit).K-1766

I haven't done an extensive search but our Lowes, Ace Hardware and walmart are all out of chlorine.
Is that liquid chlorine?

I have the Taylor Complete (FAS-DPD chlorine) K-2006 kit but my reagents may be old (2-3 yeats?) because the SWG has made pool life so easy that I doubt I tested anything last year.
Yeah, 2-3 years sounds too old. I'd recommend you pick up a new set.
I'm going to check Lowes now because the local place is charging $10/bag for salt.
If that for pool salt or salt for a water softener? the water softener salt is the same stuff, but cheaper. This is usually what I get.
I tested and was surprised I had even 1000 rpm ((Taylor Sodium chloride test kit).K-1766
Yep, usually salt goes up when you put in liquid chlorine throughout the year. If you pool is 12,500 gallons and you need your salt to be 3500 ppm, you'll need about 6 bags, but start with less and re-test. You SWCG might not need 3500 ppm, make sure to check the manual.

First thing I'd recommend is updating your signature so we know what pool equipment you are working with, and what test kit you are using. You can use my signature below as an example.

It might be different in GA but when I was at the pool store last week they had plenty of liquid chlorine. Have you looked for liquid chlorine or bleach at pool stores, walmart, home depot, etc? If you pool is green you are going to need a lot of liquid chlorine to SLAM anyway.

Short answer is yes. $100 seems like a lot though, you shouldn't need more than 15 bags (probably a lot less). At my home depot 1 bag is less than $5. What are you using to test the salt in your pool? You should test it separately than using the SWCG.

If your pool is green you need to SLAM. I would do that before you mess with anything else.

Is that liquid chlorine? Both. They actually had a $65 bucket of granular chlorine just now at Lowes but I haven't given up on the SWG THAT much ;)

Yeah, 2-3 years sounds too old. I'd recommend you pick up a new set. All of them?

If that for pool salt or salt for a water softener? the water softener salt is the same stuff, but cheaper. This is usually what I get
Pool salt...I'll definitely try yours next time! I just got 4 bags at Lowes for $8/each

Yep, usually salt goes up when you put in liquid chlorine throughout the year. If you pool is 12,500 gallons and you need your salt to be 3500 ppm, you'll need about 6 bags, but start with less and re-test. You SWCG might not need 3500 ppm, make sure to check the manual.

Hi Rhonda 🙋‍♀️
- unless you completely replaced all your water it still has salt in it so test that before adding anymore. Use PoolMath to calculate additions.
- u definitely need fresh regeants so u can do the SLAM Process & evict those frogs 🐸
Tftestkits.net has the refills you need or u could just get a whole new tf100 from them & have plenty of regeants for your slam. They are always fresh & shipping is fast. Until it comes in you can add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily to keep it from getting worse.
- intex stuff has absolutely more than doubled in price making a real swg much more of a value when you compare outputs & cell life so if having a swg is something you want check out discountsaltpool.com - you want one rated for 2x’s your pool volume.
i am currently limping along on my single intex swg (i had 2 but 1 died 😩) until i can upgrade next year so i have to supplement occasionally w/ liquid chlorine.

Thank you! I put 2 more lbs of shock in last night and brushed it. Going to try some clarifier now but I've got alum too. I'll check out the reagents site. Why would I need an SWG for double the volume? I've thought about upgrading but haven't seen anything I can afford. Going to the site you mentioned now.

Attachments

• 20210531_134411.jpg
    20210531_134411.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 3
Going to try some clarifier now but I've got alum too
You don't need clarifier, and I'm not sure what alum is? All you need is bleach, read the SLAM process above. If you are going to SLAM you probably don't want to increase your CYA (which will happen with "shock").

Why would I need an SWG for double the volume?
SWCG are rated for running at 100%, 24/7. It's better to get a bigger SWCG in case you have a high UV day, or a lot of swimmers, etc. With a bigger SWCG you can run it at 50% most of the time, but kick it up to 60,70, etc when you need it. This is actually the big issue a lot of people have when their pool builder, or pool maintenance company installs the SWCG. They end up getting one that is too small and then end up wondering why they have to have a SWCG AND put chlorine in their pool. This happens a lot especially in Phoenix since we have brutal summers.

A SWG's rating is based on running your pump 24/7 and your SWG at 100%. That's the reason we advise to size your SWG for double. Otherwise, the generator can barely keep up at 100% capacity and your pump has to be on nonstop.

By getting a bigger SWG it cuts down on both pump run time and how high you have to run the SWG output which will (in theory) make a SWG salt cell last longer before it needs replacement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put 2 more lbs of shock in last night and brushed it. Going to try some clarifier now but I've got alum too.
🛑 Please don’t do that - those will only gum up your filter & possibly leave you with a bigger mess than u already have.
Stick with liquid chlorine & follow the SLAM Process to the letter - testing & replenishing fc to slam level for your cya FC/CYA Levels multiple times a day just not more than once per hour.
Using clarifiers & alum (floc) are just wasting time & $$ since the algae isn’t completely eradicated & will continue to grow at a rate faster than u can remove it manually. There are rare occasions when a clarifier comes into play but it is well after all other culprits have been eliminated & all that’s left is slightly cloudy water after an extended period of time slamming (weeks). Even then only specific ones are acceptable.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.