Am I reading my pump's label correctly?

Jul 20, 2018
BLUE SPRINGS/MO
So I've been looking at replacing my pool pump for a more efficient model because I assume the one I have is old. I took a look at the label on the pump to figure out my horsepower replacement needs and my current electric usage. If I reading it correctly then it's a 3/4 horsepower. Less than one hp. That seems wild to me considering it's a pool that's approximately 28000 gallons. It's also strange that it lists the voltage has 230 / 115 and amperage as 6/12. I assume that means that since I have it connected to 240 it's running on 230 volts and 12 amps, but is it running on 6 amps? Attaching a picture. Can anyone confirm I'm reading this correctly at .75 hp and 230 volts 12 amps?
20180720_105851.jpg

It's 3/4 HP, but the service factor (SF) is 1.5. So the actual "brake" HP is 3/4 * 1.5, which is 1 1/8 HP. Service factor is supposed to mean "I can do 3/4 HP forever and ever even at high ambient temperatures, but I can do up to 1 1/8 HP for short periods of time especially if it isn't too hot out, or longer periods if the ambient is high".

With pool motors they seem to throw all that out and just make stuff up (near as I can tell, I'm an electrical engineer who does utility power stuff, so I have some motors understanding, and it still seems like nonsense) so you can just multiply the two numbers together and call that your "actual" HP and use that to cross shop.

Still maybe a little small for your pool, but there's too many factors to say for sure.

If you update your signature it might help people with more recommendations. Is your electricity cheap or expensive? Are there any time of use chargers or demand charges? Do you have any suction side or pressure side cleaners? Etc.

A 2 speed might make sense for you, but it's hard to say without more information. VSP would be an option as well depending on your setup (makes more sense if you have a SWG, or if electricity is expensive).

A 3/4 HP is plenty big for almost any pool. Many pools that use VS pumps are effectively running well below 3/4 HP at lower RPM. Pools don't require high HP. However, spas are different issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.