Am I doing it right?

ooh, ok

Well, hopefully, by this weekend, the water chemistry should be squared away! Pool is warming up faster than expected. Wife is going to measure the flow rate of the hose during lunch. At the rate the pool is heating, we should be able to turn off the pump and drop in the hose by around 1pm and if all goes well, we'll have displaced 2500 gallons by bedtime. I'll set the pump to run for a while throughout the night and test in the morning. I'm not sure if the water will mix enough if I let the pump run for an hour or two. Would love to test before bedtime so I can get the levels squared away asap.

The goggles are primarily to keep them from rubbing their eyes. With proper water chemistry your eyes are unaffected by the pool water.

My TA is lower now, and the pH rise is slower for sure. Is it safe to assume that since my CYA is so high and I'm having to use much higher amounts of chlorine than usual, the outgassing is significantly more and contributing to higher/faster pH rise?

The amount of chlorine you add should have no influence on out-gassing. Are you running your pump longer or faster currently? That would have an influence.

If you increased FC by adding a fair chunk of chlorine and then stayed at that new higher level, then the pH will have risen but will stay there and not rise further by adding more chlorine to compensate losses to just maintain the new level.

High CYA should actually reduce CO2 out-gassing, because a fair bit of your TA will be CYA-Alkalinity rather than Carbonate Alkalinity (which is responsible for CO2 being oversaturated in the water). If your CYA is 90ppm, then about 30ppm of your TA will be CYA-Alkalinity.

hm, interesting, I don't think I am running my pump any longer than usual, maybe an hour or two longer. I was going to lower the cya today, but my cya tube is broken...gonna take me a few days to get a replacement. I'm hoping once I get the cya under control everything else will fall into place

The amount of chlorine you add should have no influence on out-gassing. Are you running your pump longer or faster currently? That would have an influence.

If you increased FC by adding a fair chunk of chlorine and then stayed at that new higher level, then the pH will have risen but will stay there and not rise further by adding more chlorine to compensate losses to just maintain the new level.

High CYA should actually reduce CO2 out-gassing, because a fair bit of your TA will be CYA-Alkalinity rather than Carbonate Alkalinity (which is responsible for CO2 being oversaturated in the water). If your CYA is 90ppm, then about 30ppm of your TA will be CYA-Alkalinity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.