Am I doing it right?

Kemble

Gold Supporter
Mar 12, 2017
CO
First time ever testing pool water.

Chlorine test = Added 4 drops of R-0871 x 0.5 = 2
added 5 drops of R-0003, solution turned pink.
Added 2 more drops of R-0871 x 0.5 = 1 Solution turned clear.
Went on to another test and left the solution alone. About 5 minutes later I See the solution is pink again. I place it back on the speed stir and add 2 more drops to get it clear again.
I let it sit for another 5 minutes, it did the same thing. 2 more drops were added to get it to turn clear again. I did this 3 times total. Is this normal ? Will letting the solution sit idle cause it to turn pink again?
To my understanding I think my TC is 3, but if I count the 3 times I let the solution sit idle for 5+ minutes each time and add the extra R-0871 drops then I can be as high as 6+ as I stopped after the 3rd time it turned back pink on me.

TA = 60 I think I'm good here as SWG pools should be 60-90

CYA - I did this test twice. Both times I managed to fill the tube all the way to the top and was still able to see the black circle at the bottom. I guess I'll be taking a trip up to the pool store tomorrow to get some stabilizer. I am assuming based on the directions, that when I mix the R-0013 with pool water that my sample will become cloudy, and that cloudiness is what prevents me from seeing the black circle at the bottom of the tube?

Salt = 3100 I will probably add just a little more tomorrow and get it to 3200-3300

It will go back to pink after it sits for a bit. The test is complete after it turns clear the first time. Yes, the CYA test is designed to cloud so you can't see the dot.

Great start! Read this for more clarity on testing Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions
The FC test is one and done. If you let it sit the pink comes back, ignore it.
If available Walmart or Home Depot has stabilizer. Normally $16 for 4 lbs. Determine how much you will need to get to 80 ppm CYA with your water volume. Do not add it all at once, do half or so and then test to confirm your water volume.

Good luck!

This year i noticed the chlorine test sometimes going to pink.
What i started doing was to let it sit for a few minutes after adding the powder. I also noticed this to be a problem early in the season when my water was still very cold. I have not noticed this happening much since.

I haven't programmed my Easy Touch yet. So far I just have the pump running 24/7 at 1500 RPM. My pool has 11,000 gallons in it. I currently have my IC-40 set at 6%. Is that too much, too little? Where should I have it set at for now until I can get around to programming the EasyTouch to a set schedule for my pump.

As long as FC is staying in target range for your CYA then you're good to go. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] Never let FC drop down to minimum to keep the pool sanitary and algae free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.