Always used liquid chlorine but can't find any locally - Ideas?

Most SWG manufactures recommend a timer to ensure the unit is powered on only while the pump is running. The flow switch should be considered a secondary safety device. My SWG is powered by 240 volts. I originally had it hooked up to a simple Intermatic T104R mechanical timer (The "R" in the model # indicates an outdoor enclosure). I recently replaced the mechanical timer with a simple $13 Wifi switch. When power goes off, the pump and SWG sync to the correct time. So far, the switch has worked flawlessly. I have the ability to use the app to tailor or override runtimes. You will need to have some basic electrical skills, but lots of help around here if you need it.

1629636243135.png

Don't sweat the paranoia over salt pools.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ya know, I respect much of what your builder said. Being unsure of something doesn’t always mean he’s against it, could also mean the negatives he’s seen may start to negate some of the pro’s. Keep in mind many of the users who he’s assisting aren’t testing their pool frequently, they’re not buying the correct size system, they’re not doing the correct things……but guess who has to deal with things when it goes wrong. The builder.

Here at TFP we are sure of salt. We also agree you’ll need some system to make sure the SWG isn’t running when the pump is, we both agree there. 👍 I respect the builders concerns, but will jump up and down when I say you’ll be fine with a salt system.

Reactions: Newdude
Checked my salt with my Taylor kit last night and came up with 14 drops of silver nitrate to get the “milky salmon” color change so that’s saying I’ve already got 2800 PPM of salt in there! It’s entirely possible I’ve used a little more chlorine than I’d estimated since start up three years ago. Baring the test being off due to age (probably 5-6 years old) it seems like I’m already at the salt level of a SWG pool.

I targeted 3k and rain would have me closer to 2800 where the unit would usually complain. We had the same pool but mine was salt and yours was ‘chlorine’. :scratch:

I just don’t get the big bad salt boogeyman.

I just need to figure out the right generator for my pool at this point. Any master thread that discusses this or obvious recommendations?
All the rest of your kit is Pentair. Do you also have EasyTouch or Intellitouch control panel? The only reason I ask, is if you're wanting to stay "in the family," there's one solution for you: Pentair Intellichlor 60. You and I have almost identical setups (I don't have the waterfall, do you have a spa?)

I installed it myself over 2 days, probably could have done it in 1 but took my time and walked to the garage for the miter saw to cut each PVC segment. If you're at 2800ppm salt already, you're really only needing about $25 worth of salt (4 x 40lb bags at Home Depot, $6.50 ea). Now, the disclaimer: I live on unincorporated county land in Oklahoma and literally zero permits and inspections are required except termites every time the house sells and the septic system when it was installed. Your local regulations may require a permit, inspection, qualified installer. Pentair won't honor a warranty on this unit I installed, as I'm not in their system as a qualified installer. Other SCG manufacturers will, if that's important to you.

Here's the salt I used. Make sure it's very close to 100% pure sodium chloride.

Here's the install thread:

"You’ll need to install some type of automation so that the pump and salt system are linked together so that the salt can’t run when the pump isn’t on."

This is often accomplished simply by wiring the SCG power supply to the same relay that turns your pump on and off, further eliminating the need for a separate dedicated GFCI breaker. Happy to show you photos of the guts of my install, mine's a little different, but not important to get into the weeds right now. If you've got an EasyTouch or Intellicenter, your wiring might be similar, as you've got a "smart" pump.

"You’ll have more fun keeping your water chemistry in check as well and it doesn’t work in the winter time."

If you'll forgive my language, that's hogwash. Doing things the TFP way, I have exactly the opposite of fun trying to keep my water chemistry in check. I've only been here a couple months, and honestly, I'm bored. I fixed my pool and it stays within parameters, and I've gotten forgetful and gone 2-3 days without even doing a check on my pH. I do have more fun, but it's practicing golf or making sawdust in the shop, or just swimming. It's not keeping my water chemistry in check. To the winterizing comment, it's my understanding algae basically won't grow in a cold pool, and nobody's going to be swimming in it anyway. So there's very little demand for chlorine. Most users here seem to get by just fine manually dosing their pools in winter every few days. There's even a Pentair bypass tube of the identical dimensions to remove the SCG for cleaning and winterization.

edit: I notice you have a pool cover. I recall reading a thread earlier today where the user mentioned in the wintertime they only add chlorine once a week to their covered pool.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
First off……..^^^^^^. ALL OF THAT.

Secondly
Doing things the TFP way, I have exactly the opposite of fun trying to keep my water chemistry in check. I've only been here a couple months, and honestly, I'm bored
#preach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.