Always meant to ask this....is there any way to determine what a pH reading is that's obviously above 8 (using Taylor K-2006)?

You must REALLY like that old Apollo filter to remember it so well. It's a classic, dude. A pool tech who was out one time to do some work told me that thing is the "cadillac" of filters. Gotta say, still works great after 32 years. No plastic on that baby - just like the ol' Cub Cadet. ...! 😆
I remember those old beasts.. My Dad had one... Bomb proof, winner of all jousting games with little Asian cars.. that puppy got 2 miles to the gallon.. The front seat was like sitting on a couch in someone's living room.. That puppy is not insurable because it doesn't have seat belts. It drove smooth as a boat.. That puppy needed 200 yards of asphalt to make a turn.. They don't make them like that anymore, that's for sure.. because federal regulations prohibit it... Yeah I remember that puppy! wooof 🐶..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Done. $1 sent. But they hit your account with a $9 processing fee. So you owe $8. Sorry. Now post em up !!!!!!

I think this season is truly the determining factor. If it turns out that the latter part of last season was a fluke and the weekly maintenance dose of line cleaner doesn't do what it did last August and September, then I don't see anything else to try in the way of continuing to use Baquacil. I was really set on converting (during last season) up until things drastically improved once I started the weely 1/2 lb. of Line Cleaner. I was intrigued by the end of the season and figured it's worth one more shot.
I think you said the same thing last year - and yet here we are... again (or is that still?).

So... what’s the real reason not to change?
I think I know the answer to this question. Sadly, my one word answer would most probably get me banned.

Anthony, if you need some encouragement and an example how straight forward the conversion to chlorine can be, then have a look at this thread, very impressive.

Hi, Jody here. I have a 16x32 inground 13,500 gallon pool put in the fall of 2017. Like a fool I let the installer talk me into the expensive Baqucil w/CDX system. 1st season went great and had no issues. 2nd year I started developing pink slime just like all the threads said I would so I've decided to go with the Salt Water generator and a Frog Cycler. I made my decision to go this route based on feedback from my sister who has this same type of SWG setup and she has been very happy with it.

I've purchased an CircuPool RJ30+ chlorine generator and a Frog 5400 series system. I also bought a TF-100 test kit for water testing. I haven't installed any these items yet. I did some research and it sounded like a good idea to me to do the conversion in the spring when I open the pool back up. That way the pool has had time to lose as much of the Baqucil products as possible.

I need your guys help. I want to start getting my plan together and to make sure I have everything I need to make this conversion go as smooth as possible. I plan on taking a weeks vacation and dedicate that solely too doing this conversion. I'm a very mechanical person and do all my own home repairs and upgrades myself. I'm confident in electrical wiring and have no fears of taking on this project but I want to go into this with a solid plan. I've been reading and researching for a couple of months off and on and figured I'd just start this task off using the expert opinions of you folks. Very impressed with the level of knowledge on this forum! Kudo's to all of you!

Initial questions:
  1. I've read about percarbonate being used as the initial step for the conversion. Should I attempt that? If so what do I need to get in preparation for it.
  2. I was thinking I'd get the baqacil to chlorine conversion done before I add the new SWG equipment. One less variable to deal with during the conversion process if I hold off until the water is converted and stabilities

Wait....what are you referring to?
The old skool Cadillac. Comfy, drove like a boat and won all jousting matches with imported cars.

I was along side a fancy new 2 door yesterday and they will just never be the same. (Like that beloved filter). Sure it had close to 600HP and the leather was fancy, but it was tiny with an all angled body like a stealth fighter. It’s lost what made it great.

Um, isn’t chlorine the old way of doing things?
OK...you got me!!
have a look at this thread, very impressive.
I will! Thanks...
So you owe $8
Gotta wait till I maybe sell more pool chemicals..
Sadly, my one word answer would most probably get me banned.
😳
and yet here we are... again
Yep...you're right. It was a no-brainer (to convert) up until I had the level of success I did with the Line Cleaner. As I've said several times now, there is nowhere else to go if this doesn't work as I hope for. Nothing else out there to try. I'm not willing to switch to sand filter since there are reports of people here who had (have?) trouble with baqua even without using DE. The pool store has been pushing me in that direction (to switch to sand) because...very conveniently...they install the equipment and charge an arm and two legs to remove the spent sand. In all fairness to them, however, they've been encouraging me to go back to chlorine for years indicating that they were never a great fan of biguanide (but were surely content to let me buy it all those years LOL). I admit to having been turned off to chlorine back in the day when I ran into the lock situation. I recall being on a summer vacation and seeing a hotel owner come out in the morning and dump a few gallons of liquid bleach into the pool. I was appalled but...once I came here - I learned that the liquid method is truly the best way to go. Enough on all this now. I won't comment on it further until the season gets underway.

It’s lost what made it great.
Here's the thing....most sedans today all tend to look the same IMHO. That same, boring (what I refer to as the) 'tear-drop' shape. Back in the day cars had more distinctive styling and hence a uniqueness to them. I'm really intrigued with the idea of hybrid and so would like to test drive a Toyota Avalon - but HATE the front grilles. Not sure I could ever learn to like the front of a car that moreso resembles a Mack truck. Same for Lexus and a few others. Those aggressive looking fronts. Just don't like them. Sorry, no offense meant to anyone here. Each to his own. I sort of like the styling of the Tesla S on the outside, but don't care for what they did with the interior - too bare bones somehow for the cost. My problem is I'm probably looking for something similar to the lines on the Riviera and there just isn't anything out there anymore. Never drove a Caddy. Once (post inspection) test drove a V12 Jaguar at my Dad's sevice station. The power that thing had was downright scary. This was decades ago and so probably the 'power' I experienced was minimal compared to what's available today. Started a bit of test driving right when covid began and then that was the end of that. Never got back to it yet. Drove a few different BMW models - nice enough - but I'd really like to go with something that has much better mpg. We discussed this awhile back I recall. The Jaguar I-Pace is intriguing, and even the little Chevy Bolt. Problem with EV is that, at least in my rural area and the county in general, we're still in the 'early adopter' mode - not enough charging stations around. I'm sure I'd put one in my garage, but still - not sure I like the idea of standing at a charging station for 45 minutes (or longer?)...especially in the rain, depending on the length of the trip and availability of stations along the planned route.

At any rate...little more to bandy back and forth, for now anyway, on chlorine vs baquacil. I'll report back once I get the pool opened later next month. I guarantee a conversion is looming IF I run into the same level of filter problems I did between May and August last year. 10 filter cleanings between 6/10 and 8/8 was WAY too many - and way too hard on my back for one thing. Last summer was also the summer of the injured disc. So this summer HAS to be better in some regard, although now there's the issue of the ear blockage / vestibular balance and dizziness/vertigo problems that began post-covid vaccine...but that's another very long story for a different forum.

Last edited:
As I've said several times now, there is nowhere else to go if this doesn't work as I hope for. Nothing else out there to try.
In all seriousness.. I listen to your tales of yore and the one combination you haven't tried is a high output SWG and a big arse cartridge filter. That is the current state of the art IMO and the most maintenance free of all the pool sanitation regimes. Try that and then report back. you can turn your current filter into a planter for old times sake

Here's the thing....most sedans today all tend to look the same IMHO. That same, boring (what I refer to as the) 'tear-drop' shape. Back in the day cars had more distinctive styling and hence a uniqueness to them.
Stylings come and go.. There were tear drops and there were fins and there were low riders.. pick your era... you can't get more old school tear drop than this:
Dynamixion_car_by_Buckminster_Fuller_1933_%28side_views%29.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK...you got me!!

I will! Thanks...

Gotta wait till I maybe sell more pool chemicals..

😳

Yep...you're right. It was a no-brainer (to convert) up until I had the level of success I did with the Line Cleaner. As I've said several times now, there is nowhere else to go if this doesn't work as I hope for. Nothing else out there to try. I'm not willing to switch to sand filter since there are reports of people here who had (have?) trouble with baqua even without using DE. The pool store has been pushing me in that direction (to switch to sand) because...very conveniently...they install the equipment and charge an arm and two legs to remove the spent sand. In all fairness to them, however, they've been encouraging me to go back to chlorine for years indicating that they were never a great fan of biguanide (but were surely content to let me buy it all those years LOL). I admit to having been turned off to chlorine back in the day when I ran into the lock situation. I recall being on a summer vacation and seeing a hotel owner come out in the morning and dump a few gallons of liquid bleach into the pool. I was appalled but...once I came here - I learned that the liquid method is truly the best way to go. Enough on all this now. I won't comment on it further until the season gets underway.

incidentally, the sand isn’t anything fancy, when I got a new filter and switched to the fancy glass stuff I just had them dump the sand in the back of the property for free. If you don’t have space, maybe make a little beach in your backyard with it and put a few chairs over it.

maybe make a little beach in your backyard
LOL...I already have the equivalent of a pitcher's mound since I always tend to hose off the DE grids at the same place near the filter pad. Over the years the spent DE worked its way down into the ground and it just kept building up. Someday if we sell the house, someone might wonder what the unusual slope is near the pool. I really should excavate and extract it - only problem is - that stuff is regulated from what I always read and considered an environmental hazard - not the sort of thing to put out in garbage bags.

turn your current filter into a planter for old times sake
That would be pretty cool actually! Or maybe sell the tank on eBay, local pickup only of course - betcha somebody would buy it for some obscure purpose - similar to guys that buy a piano, then destroy it and hang the harp on the wall, etc. I'm really intrigued by SWG - and postings from last year show that. Upon conversion, I'd wait a bit (as suggested here...get used to straight chlorine first) but then I think I'd really like SWG. I hear all good things about it. As I think I mentioned, had talked to my pool tech who has done a good bit of work for me and he said he could take care of adding whatever necessary equipment.

not the sort of thing to put out in garbage bags.

If they don't want the stuff ending up in landfill, then you probably also don't want that stuff piling up in your backyard? I certainly wouldn't want to buy a house with a pile of that stuff and then having to deal with it...

That would be pretty cool actually! Or maybe sell the tank on eBay, local pickup only of course - betcha somebody would buy it for some obscure purpose - similar to guys that buy a piano, then destroy it and hang the harp on the wall, etc. I'm really intrigued by SWG - and postings from last year show that. Upon conversion, I'd wait a bit (as suggested here...get used to straight chlorine first) but then I think I'd really like SWG. I hear all good things about it. As I think I mentioned, had talked to my pool tech who has done a good bit of work for me and he said he could take care of adding whatever necessary equipment.
We made a strawberry patch out of our old filter. Just cut the top off of it and filled it with soil.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.